1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post tells writers to stop making picks in games they cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Dave Caldwell

Dave Caldwell New Member

I've always wondered how much betting is done on high school football or (boys) basketball games -- by adults or kids. In the town I grew up in, I know there were people betting on our school's games, but that was a long time ago.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In terms of dailies, excepting New York and Kentucky, you're just about right.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. We could make predictions on horse racing but we were in deep crap if it was discovered we'd bet another way. Unethical to use the paper to try and increase the odds on the horse you thought would actually win.

B. Back to my book mentioned above - he loved taking action on high schools because people would always bet with the heart and not the head. As any gambler will tell you, betting with the heart is the best way in the world to lose your ass. But, yeah, people bet on high school games.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I once had a gig where they MADE me pick the local -- and area -- HS games.

Now, I pointed out that me picking the area games was absurd, because I was going to spend the bulk of the season watching Big Local High School.

I was rebuffed.

My picks column hummed along for a month, until I picked against the Big Local High School, and was told that I couldn't do that.

I haven't done a picks column since.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I usually am ... (heh heh heh) ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. jaredk

jaredk Member

It doesn't bother anybody that we're promoting gambling?

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I agree. Waste of time, IMO.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No.

Well, it may bother lots of people. I can't speak for everyone.

It doesn't bother me. People are going to gamble whether we write about things or not.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

What other crimes do we promote that people would do whether we write about them or not?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So you advocate not printing an NCAA Tournament bracket, lest someone rip it out and put $10 behind it?

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, we better stop reporting who won since gamblers need that info to tell if they made money.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

Run the bracket, it's news. Make your picks, it's entertainment. Talk point spreads, it's gambling information. We all know the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted