1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post selling stake in Rockies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 7, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They own 7.3 percent of the team, which based on Forbes $464M estimate would be worth about $34M. The paper is seeking to sell the stake in the baseball team as it pursues a digital strategy focused on "content creation and advertising sales on multiple platforms," Digital First Media chief executive John Paton said in a statement.

Yeah because why would anyone want an ownership stake in something whose value keeps going up?

Since Digital First is the bastard spawn of JRC and MediaNews, I'm going to go ahead and guess they desperately need the cash and they've already sold everything in the building that isn't bolted down.
  2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Member

If I recall correctly, the Denver Post fired longtime columnist Jim Armstrong because Armstrong was allegedly involved in gambling on sporting events that he might have written about. The paper said that they could not allow that to happen because it might give readers the idea that what they read in the Post might not be totally objective.

So, riddle me this:

How do the people who thought that way justify the idea that the Post can own a piece of the Colorado Rockies without the readers having questions in their minds regarding the objectivity of the Post's reporting?
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Many newspapers have stakes in local sports teams. The New York Times Co. owned The Boston Globe and stake in the Boston Red Sox for years (and now owns neither). Tribune Co. owns the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Cubs. The Tampa Bay Lightning play at Tampa Bay Times Forum. This is far more common at the small-town level, too. I remember covering a small tennis tournament a few years back that had ads all over it for my newspaper.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only journalists have conflicts of interest. Owners and management can do whatever they want because it's good business.
  5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Member

Yes, but...

It was the owners/managers who thought they saw a conflict of interest in this case.

For the record, I think the justification they gave when Armstrong was fired was flimsy at best. They may have had other reasons to get rid of him that I know nothing about, but the reason they gave was sort of silly in my estimation.
Draft saved Draft deleted