1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post: Color photographs from 1939-43

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by expendable, Jul 29, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I searched to see if this was a D_B, and didn't find anything. My apologies if it is. When I was little, I remember asking my grandmother people saw in black-and-white when she was young. I still have trouble picturing that era in anything but black and white. These pics show what a slice of America, in color, from over 70 years ago.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

All were cool pictures.

Can't believe how dirty people were back then. Reminds me of the scenes we see from other countries. We were more developed 70 years ago than some people are now.

Also, the PBR sign was sweet.

3. Those pictures were awesome.

If you haven't been to shorpy.com yet, take a few hours out of your day and do so.

This is the background on my desktop: http://www.shorpy.com/node/153

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Awesome.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Stunning. A tremendous find. Ought to be a book.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wow. Great photos ... thanks for posting the link.

Awesome that the photographer hit many different parts of the nation, along with many different groups of people (rural, urban, black, white, etc.).

I think the "Rosie the Riveter" photo, where she's reflected in her work, is my favorite.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great photos. The last one of the coal worker (or whatever he was) was very jarring.

Also found the one of the Brockton Enterprise with the headlines in the front window to be pretty ironic. Kinda like an early "Get the news on the web" format.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Most of Jack Delano's work including color stuff has been available online through the Library of Congress for years. Don't know why the Denver Fucking Post earns clicks for this.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Those two jumped out to me as well.
    I also noticed No. 15 (kids asleep at square dance). If those kids are asleep, I'm thinking we may have a problem with the second kid from the left.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I swear to Godthat No. 16 is Napoleon Dynamite in drag.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought the exact same thing.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The one thing that jumps out to me was in a couple of places where sisters would be wearing the same dresses. You know mom had to have made those from a single bolt of cloth and a pattern.

Draft saved Draft deleted