1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver mag's look at death of Rocky

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, May 28, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

http://www.5280.com/issues/2009/0906/feature.php?pageID=1740

Very long, but VERY interesting read. Affirms much of what was thought to be going on anyway, but here's a particularly heartless graf about Post owner Singleton:

EDIT: To be fair, Rocky ed John Temple calls bullshit http://www.johntemple.net/2009/05/another-example-of-dangers-of-using.html
    but does anyone really doubt that, expressed or not, the hope wasn't floating around the Tower in Cincinnati?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's Singleton. Anyone who's worked for him and been laid off, or their paper shuttered, shares that feeling. It's been 15 years for me and I still wish the bastard ill will.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Just a recommendation that people click on and read this piece. I found it ... unsettling.

4. Fabulous piece by Max Potter, who has won a couple of National Magazine awards. A must-read for those in the business, even if it's a complete buzz-kill ...

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's heartless? To wish for the elimination of someone who hurts so many and gets his rocks off doing it?

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The Singleton line felt like a throw-away bit for color and I think it's a bit of deflection, at best, to latch onto that. The meat of the article was sourced to the gills and pretty damning, particularly the evidence that reporting on the benefit to Scripps to kill the Rocky, despite avenues to save it, were suppressed. Really, really frustrating and sad.

Newspapers have sold their livelihoods to privateers and corporate Vikings, who've energetically raped and pillaged them and are now burning the fields they trampled for a tax write-off. I don't think anything will improve until companies like Gannett, Scripps, Singleton's brand and all the rest die much-deserved Wall Street deaths.

ETA: Quoteage, as the 12-page article is a fascinating read, but takes some time to read through.

7. Killick

C'mon. I've wished plenty of ill-will on many, many folks. But I can say I never once wished death for them. I mean, Singleton's a dirtbag... but death?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/22/business/media/22singleton.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5090&en=d4dd8b9ca1f2d306&ex=1305950400&partner=rss&emc=rss

Looks to me like they're joking here about the financial situation of their staff, so I gots no beef with it. Yeah, being broke is friggin' hysterical.

Once a year, Mr. Singleton has been taking his editors on retreats, usually at one of his ranches in Colorado (he owns four). They include mountain hikes at dawn and raucous skits satirizing the newspaper business. This year's skit featured Mr. Singleton in a turban and swami outfit as his editors sang their own lyrics to "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?" ("Writers here/are thinking fast/of parking cars/and pumping gas.")

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

This magazine article was really interesting, especially to someone who used to work at a Scripps paper.

10. Killick

Pretty reprehensible, BYM, but I still wouldn't be cheering for the reaper. Hey, at least he's never made any secret what he's about... unlike the folks at Scripps, who still say they're all about journalistic integrity, then continue to shit all over their newsrooms in favor of the Haus Frau Network.

Draft saved Draft deleted