1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver/Fort Collins advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Garden of the Gods is very cool. As is Cave of the Winds.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And only 15 minutes to Tahoe. What's not to love?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Three days? Not enough time. Still ...

If you're staying in Denver, the Colorado History Museum is pretty cool, so is the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The zoo isn't a bad place to hit up. I'm told the Denver Art Museum is good, but I've never been.

If you're are doing a tour of New Belgium, you absolutely need to get a reservation. Fortunately, that Monday you are going still has openings, but get a reservation.

Tour Calendar | Take a brewery tour in Fort Collins

Fort Collins is a lot of fun, especially Old Town. Crown Pub for lunch is a good choice.

If you're looking for a side trip out of Fort Collins, drive up Big Thompson Canyon and see Estes Park. Spectacular. Stanley Hotel, lots of shops to check out. If you go into Rocky Mountain National Park, you won't come out for a week.

Food-wise, depends what you're looking for. As mentioned earlier, the Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek North has great burgers. I also highly recommend City Grille across from the Capitol. Nightly specials, but the steak burgers rock.

Steaks, you say? Bastiens on East Colfax is an old school throwback. Elways in the Ritz or Cherry Creek North, Shanahan's and Del Frisco's in the Tech Center. (Expect to pay.) Thai food? Tommy's on East Colfax will work for you. Buckhorn has the state's first liquor license. I've heard Flagstaff House above Boulder is amazing.

Breakfast? Yes, Snooze is pretty good, but get there early because the lines back up. Two locations in Denver, one near Coors Field, another on Colorado Boulevard. If you want to go to Fort Collins early, there's one up there or if you're looking for an excuse to go to Boulder, there's one there as well. Or you can try Jelly on 13th Avenue near the Capitol.

Beer? Yes, we have lots of spots up and down the Front Range. Avery is awesome. So is Upslope. And of course, Oskar Blues. It's like the Sonoma Valley from Denver to Boulder to Longmont to Fort Collins. in Denver, you've got Great Divide. Want something stronger? Try Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey tour just south of downtown.

I will echo Air Force Academy and Garden of the Gods and add the cog rail or drive up Pikes Peak, but this sounds like a Denver and to the north trip.

To the west is where the action is at. Make the 20-minute drive and check out Red Rocks just to say you've seen it. It's mostly open all day and you'll see the workout freaks running the stairs. A concert? The best, hands down. If you want to hike, you can be on a trail in 30 minutes, but doesn't sound like that's on the agenda. Gambling 45 minutes to the west in Central City and Black Hawk (slots, blackjack, craps, poker). River rafting up in Silverthorne (take Loveland Pass on the way up or the way back and thank me later) and Idaho Springs. Drive up Mount Evans, the tallest peak in the state. Coors tour in Golden is actually kinda cool and Golden is a nice little throwback town.

Now a couple of quasi warnings.

One, drink lots of water. All the time. The altitude wears people down. The air is thinner, though we don't walk around with oxygen masks here. And if you're walking a lot, you will feel it. It's very dry here and even though temps will be anywhere from the low 80s to upper 90s, in the sun, you'll feel it. Sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen. Expect a chance of afternoon thunderstorms, but they come and then things clear out. Temps dip into the comfortable 60s at night, but bring a light jacket just in case. It's been a dry summer so far. Even if you think you've had enough water ... you haven't. Have a water bottle with you and drink it galore.

Two, lots of issues on the 16th Street pedestrian mall in downtown. You'll notice a homeless issue here despite the "clearing out" of the homeless. They make their way onto the mall and there have been attacks there. Lots of so-called "travelers" who are homeless but are coming here from out of state to get their hands on the readily available marijuana. Just ... be careful on the mall. Police presence has been up since the most recent attacks in the past month to six weeks.

Feel free to PM me with questions or add them here. Have fun. There's plenty to enjoy.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I went back to Colorado now, I'd be sampling plenty of the new recreational craze.

5. MileHigh

If you're going to Fort Fun, sounds like you'll be renting a car. You might consider renting one from the handful of rental locations near downtown vs. the airport, where they run a lot more expensive. You can now take the A line train from the airport to Union Station in downtown, which is within easy walking distance of wherever you're staying down there.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We already did get a reservation for New Belgium.

And the wife is a Hertz Club Gold member, so we got a super-cheap rental car.

That's for the other tips, though, especially the one about the water.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a surprisingly good slice of pizza in Denver.
    NYC style, down scale, regular pizzeria.
    Not great, but pretty damn good.

8. Steak Snabler

One other thing I did want to ask about, however ... what's the parking situation like at Coors Field?

They are playing the Cubs, so all the on-site parking sold through the team site is sold out. Anybody know anything about these other lots listed on Stubhub?

http://www.stubhub.com/colorado-roc...&qtyq=false&sType=BLENDED&sort=price+asc&cb=1

We are staying at the Hampton Northwest/Westminster, which is 11 miles away from Coors up 36 according to Google Maps. Would that be too far/expensive to Uber or take the light rail in for the game?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Take the RockiesRide. Fast, inexpensive, and let you off in a parking lot right next to the bars on Blake Street. Plus, they had dedicated lanes for the buses so you got out of the stadium really quick afterward.

My stop was Wagon Road. LOoks like there's one very near you. Here is the link:

RTD

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

Which day are you going on? If you're going on Sunday, just find a spot on the street. Parking is free on Sundays.

You could go to the RTD site that @micropolitan guy posted and look at the B Line. It's a new train line where the stop is not far from where you're staying. I think it's $2.50 each way and it drops you off at the new and improved Union Station. From there, it's about a five-block walk to the stadium. Or you can check out other restaurants/bars in LoDo, including Wynkoop Brewery, the first brewery that started the revitalization of downtown. It was launched by the current governor.

If you want to drive and park at the stadium, there are a lot of lots and the big one for the Rockies runs $15. I know where to find street parking for free, but since you've never been around here, I won't go into all of that. But certainly check out the train line, especially because it's the Cubs since those games will have higher-than-usual crowds.

12. Steak Snabler

Thanks. We are going on Saturday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted