1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver/Fort Collins advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heading to Denver for three days (a Saturday thru Monday) with the wife in a couple of weeks.

Only things we have planned for sure are Rockies vs. Cubs on Saturday night and the New Belgium Brewery tour in Fort Collins around lunchtime Monday.

Any can't-miss restaurants or cultural opportunities I should know about? Mrs. Steak and I aren't big bar people, but we like to have a beer once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since hitting Denver area (Mrs. Fly's sis lives there). But we really enjoyed Sam's #3 for breakfast (very good green chile). I haven't been but was told that Snooze an AM Eatery is supposed to be the bomb (there are a couple locations IIRC). Cherry Cricket made a tasty juicy and messy burger.

BEER GEEK DISCLAIMER: Beer spots galore out in the Denver/Longmont/Boulder/Ft. Fun corridors. Avery is Boulder is an awesome taphouse, some killer taphouse-only goodies. I am a big fan of Grimm Brothers in Loveland (reviving a lot of old and dead/dying/lost German styles with a twist) and Funkwerks (FC) while the Mrs. likes both Odell (Ft. Collins) and Oskar Blues (Longmont). In Denver itself, Casey's and Crooked Stave are two of the best sour-style beer makers in the US. Haven't been to either one (Casey's didn't exist and Stave didn't have a taproom last time I was in town).

People rave about Falling Rock Tap House as a great bar but I was underwhelmed when we went pre-Rockies game. So many great breweries/brewpubs that I haven't engaged much in the bar scene when there.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Oh, and New Belgium is a cool place but can get very crowded. They'll serve you free samplers but you can't buy a pint (or at least couldn't when we went). Same policy at Great Divide in my visits there.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been to Denver once and was unable to hit the Buckhorn, which was one of the few things on my to-do list.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs. It was a short trip, and we were at the Broadmoor for a few days and then one night in Denver.
    Disappointing lack of local beers in the two bars I hit at the Broadmoor.
    Cool little guitar store in Colorado Springs. Don't recall the name.
    Colorado Spring Art Museum was really cool.
    Denver Art Museum was disappointing.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you go to Colorado Springs again, make the short trip up to Woodland Park. Good friend of mine has a condo out there.....About 20 minutes west of Springs......very very cool little town. Almost 9000 feet in altitiude......gorgeous views.......couple cool little bars........great hiking/walking track.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The new Avery brewery in Gunbarrel is a good time. Red Rocks even without a show happening, is a nice little trek for sights and such. As is Lookout Mountain in Golden. If you have some exta time and don't mind driving a bit - Mount Evans out of Idaho Springs in the AM or late afternoon would be top on the list.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've always heard the Air Force Academy is a cool place to see.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd like to go back some day. Garden of the Gods was really cool.
    We were there for a conference, which is why we were at the Broadmoor. Could never afford to stay at a place like that on a personal trip.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When I was there a month ago, we played the Air Force Academy (Eisenhower) course. There are 2 courses....Blue (which is by far the toughest of the two....pga-ready course if they wanted it to be, and the much easier silver)......Great views, very playable, very affordable.
    One thing to put on your bucket list is to attend a Navy-AFA game in the Springs. I could live in Colorado Springs very very easily. Very easy to get around in. Academy Blvd takes you anywhere you want to go. Beautiful city.

Draft saved Draft deleted