1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Johnson dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That shot in L.A.... feel like it was yesterday. Senior year in high school. 1985 was, by far, my best year on earth.

I don't know if an athlete death had so punched me about my own mortality as that one.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, not even the most famous Celtic steal call ever. Havlicek's came in the final seconds of Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, and Johnny Most nailed it. Fucking nailed it.

http://www.nba.com/history/havliceksteal_moments.html

3. Hell, I'd argue Marv Albert's "Oh, a spectacular move ... by Michael Jordan" has become more famous.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Was that for the '91 switch-hands layup? I remember the move clear as day, but not really the call.

No way that's more famous than "Havlicek stole the ball! It's all over!"

5. Yes, that's the play. I was referring to it being more famous than the Bird steal and DJ layup.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You're right.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Begrudingly, Havlicek's steal is the greatest call.

Though Chick Hearn saying "This is the world champion Lakers basketball network" after the 1985 Finals is up there too. ;)

8. I was referring to the call, actually. Of course Albert had a ton of Jordan calls; a good deal of MJ's memorable plays came on NBC when Albert was the announcer, but that call was the most memorable of MJ's career (unless you're counting Neil Funk's radio call against the Cavs in the '89 playoffs).

I guess this is just the point where we agree to disagree.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I feel a little more mortal every time I hear someone like Dennis Johnson passes away...

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

i saw... LOL. I got caught with a cache flow imbalance.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry space. DB will start this thread again next Wednesday and you can bring it up then!

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The Celtics run in the '80s could be traced back to that trade with Phoenix (for Rick Robey!) in which Boston picked up D.J. He was the missing ingredient.

RIP DJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted