1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Johnson dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Can't AP just say that the medical-examiner's office confirmed the death rather than having the below as the second graf?

2. Really sad news. Covered DJ when he was coaching the D-League team in Florida. Nice guy. Available whenever you wanted him. And in talking to Bird and some other former teammates about him, well-liked. Should be in the Hall of Fame. Great defender and consumate teammate.
    That being said, DJ knew he was overweight and it was kind of an ongoing joke during his year-long stay in SW Florida.

3. Tony Gwynn may want to take note.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I just remembered another story: Early in Raptors history, I was sitting next to him in media row. I was covering the game for The Fan, while Johnson was scouting -- for the Clippers, I think.

During a time-out, the team does an on-court trivia promotion. The question is: What team has won the most NBA titles?

There were three contestants, and no one knew the answer. The first guy says he has no idea. So does the second guy. The third person, a woman, guesses it`s the Bulls.

You should have seen the look on Johnson`s face. As the game re-starts, all I hear next to me is, ``You gotta love expansion.``

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow is right. This is alternately frightening and sad.

I was at that game, MH. The entire Forum went still the moment that ball went through the basket. You never heard 17,505 go silent so quickly.

RIP, DJ. Hated the Celtics, but respected the hell out of you.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wow. Was a Lakers fan during the 'Showtime' years, and absolutely HATED the Celtics. But this is horrible. Looking at the Toros website... yeah, the ticker probably failed DJ.
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/

RIP, DJ

7. John

John Well-Known Member

there's a steal by bird. underneath to dj and he lays it in.

r.i.p.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there but just remembered, "Daaaammmmmnnnn" this thing's going back to the Garden and the Lakers never had won the series there. Game 6, to me might be the greatest Lakers moment, and there are many.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

An amazingly efficient player, and always seemed like a class act.

Remember watching him with the Sonics when I still lived in D.C. He, Freddie Brown, Jack Sikma, (forget who their enforcer was), tearin' it up against the Bullets in the finals.

RIP, Dennis.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is what's on the ESPN screen:

Perhaps "Former Celtic Dennis Johnson dies, reportedly of a heart attack."

I don't think the report of a heart attack killed him.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Former Celtic? I'm picking nits, but DJ was really important to the Sonics (where it's almost forgotten that he won a title) and Suns as he was the Celtics. I understand, though, why he is most remembered for his Boston days since everyone seems to think the NBA was invented in 1980.

Anyway ... RIP. I too hated those Celtics teams but enjoyed watching Johnson play.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The most famous NBA call ever?

Draft saved Draft deleted