1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Johnson dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Feb 22, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Austin American-Statesman reports a rumor that's been floating around. Died during Austin Toros practice today.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

wow indeed.

I was never a Celtics fan, but I always seemed to like DJ.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just heard it on ESPN News. No report on how or the cause of death.

I'm stunned.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Man, he was only 52. That's sad.

The AP news alert just moved:

6. Nothing on the WWL Web site. Must be their goal to ignore any sad news about the NBA

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Always remembered the fact that he was smart enough to cut right to the basket when Bird stole the ball. If he hesitates a half-second longer, the Celtics lose.

I played pickup with a few Celtics fans for years during the 80s. I was always Dennis Johnson, even though I was the worst ball-handler in the group (I could shoot, though).

RIP

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

It's up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2775430

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Yahoo brief just says he fell ill. I wonder if he had a heart attack or a brain aneurysm.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, complete shocker. Incredible. The basket against the Pistons was amazing, of course. I remember him for making the top of the key shot against the Lakers in Game 4 of the 1985 Finals, tying the series. And the Lakers had yet beaten the Celtics and the series was going back to the Garden. Thankfully, the Lakers won Game 6.
    RIP.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This really took my breath away for a few seconds. I never liked those Celtics teams growing up, but I liked DJ more than the rest of the guys. RIP. :'(

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Austin American Statesman is reporting it was cardiac arrest and WEEI in Boston just had Cedric Maxwell on and Maxwell said DJ weighed more than 300 pounds the last time he saw him. So, I am guessing heart attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted