1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Hastert is a total stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This Daily Show clip is a hoot, not because it's all that funny (it's mildly funny, I'd say, at best) but because if you watch to the end of the nine-minute clip, you can see Sean Hanity ticking off all the usual GOP talking points, starting with "this is the fault of George Soros" before moving on to "you know, Clinton hooked up with Monica when she was 19" before the best kicker of them all, a clip where Fox News identifies Foley as, yes, Democratic congressman from Florida.

Hondo, don't lump jump in bed with old_tony and Lyman on this. I beg you. You're better than that. Tony is spinning so fast right now, he's one step away from claiming this is all Al Gore's fault for "inventing the internet."

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The best part of "The Daily Show" was Hannity saying, "I hate to bring up Bill Clinton ..."

Yeah, it really pained him.

And Monica was 22.

Plus ... PLUS ... how does that make this right?????

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A really weak effort there, DD. There's no spinning necessary at all on my part. As I've said, what he did makes him scum. He's out (of both the House and the closet). That's on him. What the left is trying to do is pin it on the GOP as a whole by making ludicrous.

First off, it is far from pedophilia when we're talking about 18-year-old pages. Second, there was on solicitation, and neither was there sex of any kind. You guys can't get that through your incredibly thick skulls.

You're saying Haestert should resign because he knew of the e-mails, but you try to obfuscate the fact that the e-mails were a lot different and no where near as clear as the IMs, which Haestert DID NOT know about.

Your party has protected and promoted much worse violators than Foley. And they've done it proudly so.

Pelosi voted FIVE TIMES for Studds to be a committee chair AFTER he was convicted by the Ethics Board of getting a 17-year-old page drunk and then having sex with him. Keep trying to claim the moral highground and ignore those flood waters that are already over your head. It's all you have.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You are actually accusing libs of throwing out terms because they can't think of anything else? You? You sir are one of the posters most guilty of that on this board.

5. old_tony

Examples? Tick, tock.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't feel the need to cite examples. If you're incapable of remembering your own examples, me itemizing them won't do anything to help you.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

We get it. The Democrats can be just as bad.

Have fun running on that one.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, we have said there was a screw-up. Foley was forced to resign. There have been more calls for Hastert to resign from conservative circles than the other side, and I haven't seen a single conservative columnist, commentator, newspaper, or other representative of a media outlet who hasn't called for his prosecution, if it is proven that he committed crimes.
    Foley actually had some shame about this and did the only decent thing remaining for him to do, which was to quit -- unlike Gerry Studds and Barney Franks, who stayed around long enough to get re-elected. Their speaker, Tip O'Neill, also didn't resign.
    And if you're serious that sexual harrassment of someone of any age should be punishable by law, why aren't you extending that same assertion in the direction of William Jefferson Clinton?

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Alley, just give it up, man.

You're attempting to reason with someone who spent half the night arguing with himself. He's scrambling so hard and so fast, he can't even remember what his point is from post to post.

All he knows: Republicans, good. Democrats, bad.

10. old_tony

Typical.

11. And for you, and many others around here, the converse is true.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was?

That's news to me.

He was into his 10th year of stalking/messaging pages and had been told time and again to stop --- although he obviously wasn't told strongly enough by his enablers in the GOP.

Finally . . . when confronted with the IMs by ABC News, he resigns.

Resigned out of shame? For sure. But forced to resign?

I guess if you consider his options --- 1. Resign or 2. Not resign and lose the upcoming election by the largest margin in House history --- I guess you could say he was "forced" out.

Draft saved Draft deleted