1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Green, to the white courtesy phone, please

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

Re: Dennis Green, please come to the white courtesy phone

after he brought in his boy vinny, and then his boy bledsoe.

and he has been awful at buying his groceries. bad drafts, bad free-agent signings. he has had four years to fix things, and just about everything he's tried has failed.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good points. But don't forget he went to the playoffs with Quincy freakin Carter, who was so bad in college that people thought he was fixing games, and started Testaverde only after Quincy got booted for drug/alcohol violations.

I still think he's a great coach. but his ego is bigger than Texas, so he has to think he can do everything else as well. I think the only team that could convince him to concentrate solely on coaching is the Giants.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

yeah, parcells got to the playoffs his first year. then he put his stamp on the team the ensuing seasons and it has been an embarrassment since. i just think the game has passed him by. it happens. his conservative, ball-control offense just doesn't fly. and the big, slow defense he constructed is a dinaosaur.

in a way, i think we are both right.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

BYH brought up a very good point about the 'Boys. Tuna, to his credit, did save the season bringing in Romo. Romo, for his part, can use his feet to move out of the pocket because that o-line is terrible. I'm still not impressed with their defense. How the NFL let Roy Williams continue to horse collar players is beyond me and a rule was created because of his tackle on T.O..

An personal observation is that Jones and Barber has got to improve in being consistent if Dallas' running game is going to help open up that passing game. Jerry, to me, is the real problem on why the 'Boys will not be as good as they were under Johnson. His ego can't help himself but to be the "pseudo-coach/GM" of this team. Tuna didn't want T.O. and VanderJagt. Jerry brings them in anyway. Tuna is a coach who thrives on 'handling' star players and keeping their ego in check. T.O. and the Idiot Kicker are distractions that Parcells knows he can't keep in check. LT was someone Tuna could keep in line, given LT's off the field indiscretions.

Secondly, Parcells traditionally drafts defensive players. It was one of the reasons he left the Patriots was Kraft questioning whether or not they needed more offensive help. Tuna doesn't like being told what to do. But in this situation, anytime Jerry barks, Parcells will complain, but he can't do anything to stop Jones for doing what he thinks is "in the best interest in making the Cowboys a Super Bowl team." Parcells needs to swallow his pride and start seriously looking at fixing that offensive line and whipping those young bucks in the defensive backfield into playing smarter and better.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I disagree with you on the conservative offense. He does a very good job of adapting to his skill players. He gets a rep as a dinosaur because of the smashmouth teams he fielded in New Jersey and because he won his second Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler and Ottis Anderson.

But In New England, with a fire-balling Bledsoe, he ran one of the most aerial offenses in the league. And he presided over the most potent offense in Jets history in 1998, when Chrebet and Keyshawn each had 1,000 yards receiving. And Vinny did a pretty good job of airing it out for a 98-year-old two years ago. I think a Romo-led offense could be one of the most exciting in the league...if Parcells fixes that damn o-line. That RB-by-committee will never fly without a decent o-line.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

LT was an off field problem, never a distraction. And Taylor wanted to play football, prepared to footbball and played his ass off every single down. Terrell Owens is a lazy, ignorant, stupid, pathetic, emotionally and intellectual stunted pile of wet dog shit. In half seriousness, it's too bad he didn't even know how to kill himself.

Parcells needs a George Young and Jerry Jones isn't close to being a George Young.

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

but parcells has done little adapting in cowboys-land. that's what i'm referring to. yes, he did fine in his previous stops. but he has coached scared in dallas, been conservative and has not trusted his players. that's why he's lost so many close games the past four years. he's coached not to lose.

and as far as his defense, just about every first-round pick in his tenure in dallas has been defensive, and the defense is a joke.

again, he's had four seasons to fix the o-line, the defense and the qb. he lucked into a qb, thanks to sean payton. everything else he's failed at.

at 65, the game has passed him by. there is no shame in that.

Draft saved Draft deleted