1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Dodd interview tantrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Depends on what their agreement says.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Back to the rights debate. No "owing." No "obligation." Complete sovereignty.

When a famous athlete and his movie star girlfriend roam around on the court - not wearing passes, from the pictures I saw - it's natural to go "hey, tell us about why it was important for you to do be down here." Pretty natural. It's a thing any reporter I know would do because the best QB in the world and his girlfriend - distinctly not wearing team colors -- showing up on the court to watch people they sort of know cut down basketball nets is a little bit of a non sequitur to the scene at hand.

I've clearly inadequately explained what seems to me to be a rather natural feeling for a person to have, so I'll just leave it there.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It is absolutely natural to ask that. It's also natural for a famous athlete who's there as a spectator to say he's not doing interviews. And for a reporter to accept that and move along rather than publicly bitching and moaning about it -- and about the mere fact that the famous athlete was there in the first place.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree that it is natural to want an interview with him, to try and ask him a few questions. If I were a reporter there, I might do the same thing. What I wouldn't do is cry about it on Twitter to people who are almost always going to side with the athlete.

Instead, I'd probably get drunk and tell a colleague about how Mr. Discount Double Check and his butter-face girlfriend big-timed me. Then I'd move on.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I do get why Dodd would ask Rodgers a few questions. I don't get the tantrum when he got turned down.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neither do I. I wouldn't have given the tantrum.

But I get the emotions behind it.

And my original point is that another reporter - presumably one who also asked Rodgers for an interview - thought it was "classy" that Rodgers said no. A notion I find absurd.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you find the word "classy" absurd or the idea behind his usage of it? He probably used too strong a word there, but I generally agree with his thought. Or at least what I think his thought was.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Classy? No. Smart? Yes...

He says anything other than "Go Badgers" and he'd be accused of trying to steal the spotlight.

I would have said, "Go Badgers, this is really about them, not me." and walked off.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted