1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Dodd? Big Mistake. What do you all think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

So Dodd wrote a column about PSU and who the next coach could be. Good article. I like his stuff...usually.

Anyways he calls MSU head coach Mark Dantonio Mike and in the poll there is the same error?

What gives? ::)

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In case anyone was wondering, here's a link: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10916241

It has Mark in the copy, and Mike in the poll as of my looking at it. Maybe that'll be fixed in a minute.

As for what gives, obviously it's a mistake that shouldn't happen, but sometimes things like that slip through. I'm sure Dodd and CBS's team of editors are unhappy and maybe embarrassed about this. But it's likely happened to all of us at some point in either a writing or editing capacity.

Is there a chance that because of who Dantonio is, obviously not the highest profile hire in Michigan at the end of last season coming in from Cincinnati, that a slip of this kind could happen?

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Dantonio's been at MSU for a year.
    Irregardless, these kinds of mistakes are happening throughout sports journalism, not just on-line. Fact-checking has taken a back seat to being first. Fewer eyes are reading before stories are posted or published.

4. I would say this qualifies as a SMALL mistake, and certainly not worthy of its own thread.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would too. There are bigger fish to fry as far as mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.