1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denise Rich gives up US citizenship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

umm.. Nowhere did I say she should be given easier treatment than any other non-citizen. I'm saying treat her like anybody else who is looking to travel here.

YOU'RE the one saying she should be singled out for harsher-than-normal treatment, which would be harassment.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing me with Devil, that was my first post on the topic. But it's pretty standard State Department protocol to cast a suspicious eye on anyone who renounces their citizenship. And traveling for non-citizens has gotten to be quite difficult in the new world.

But at least she isn't trying to be a legal citizen and vote, or drive down the street in Arizona, or something crazy like that.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

As a dual citizen who lives abroad and wants to be able to visit the U.S. at my leisure, I am obliged to file U.S. tax returns each year.

Fortunately, I never have to pay anything to Uncle Sam because Canadian tax rates are higher and I also don't have any property or investments in the U.S. I just have to be current with filing my returns.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm an expat too. The figure above which you get taxed in the US for foreign earnings is $95,100. Or you can claim a dollar-for-dollar credit on what you pay in your country of residence. And Britain isn't a particularly low tax paradise.

Another important thing to remember is that only a tiny, tiny sliver of expats are giving up their citizenships for any reason at all. Numbers are really hard to come by but the State Department estimates that there are 6.6 million Americans living abroad. And in 2010, only around 1800 of them went down to their local embassy/consulate and renounced their citizenship. (Interestingly enough. Boris Johnson, the current mayor of London gave up his before taking office. He was born in New York while his British parents were teaching at NYU.)

So yeah, an unknown handful of rich people are renouncing their birthright to save some cash. Boo hoo. It is a hassle to have to file every year but if you're going to be tacky, at least scrounge around for a better rationale.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

brit, Not just to save cash. The final push came with the FBAR reporting requirements, which make it even more difficult for an American living abroad to file a tax return. If you have a bank account or any kind of investment account with more than $10K in it (which most people will have where they are living abroad), you have to file an FBAR by June 30. The penalties for not doing so are worse than IRS penalties. An unwillful violation (i.e. you didn't do it to try to evade taxes) carries a $10K penalty. Basically, in their infinite wisdom, our Congress decided to cast a suspicious eye on anyone with a bank account or investments anywhere except in the U.S., including people who work in other places and would naturally have bank accounts where they work. And they put in onerous reporting requirements.

Did you file your FBAR?

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

No. To be honest, that's the glaring weakness in my argument. I've never had anything resembling $10,000 in my bank account over here, and I've never come remotely close to paying US tax while abroad. So, it's pretty darn easy for me to sound off as Mr. I-Love-America. It's no skin off my nose.

Still, to give up your citizenship over FBAR and the filing requirements seems misguided at best. Rules change. If the IRS mends its ways a decade from now, is the money you saved really worth it? And will the freedom-loving bureaucrats of the EU never got it into their heads to impose similiar disclosure laws?

Give up your citizenship because you've lived in Spain or Japan for decades and that's your home now. Give it up because the Supreme Court upheld the ACA. But really, don't cheapen what it means to be American by reducing it down to a matter of dollars and cents.

7. The Big Ragu

brit, I understand what you are saying. And I agree about people having to decide how much it means to them being an American. You are right. It is much easier to have an opinion if you don't cross the income threshold, you don't have foreign investments or you don't have a bank account in the country you are living with more than $10K.

But for people who are getting doubled taxed, and on top of it are finding that the U.S. government is treating them like de facto tax cheats with the FBAR requirement, I can understand the frustration. We are hitting people with double taxation no other developed country in the world imposes, and on top of it, we now make it even more difficult to work within the IRS rules for citizens living abroad, who of course are going to have bank accounts where they are living. And I think more people have gotten fed up, which is why you have seen the trickling of people handing back their U.S. passports in the last year.

You can fault the people who decide it's not worth being an American citizen, but shouldn't we also be looking at the extraordinary rules we have put into place that are actually making it so costly and onerous to live abroad that it gives people with any amount of money incentive to give up their U.S. citizenship? No other country has rules like these.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

FBAR has been around a long time. Has post-9/11 enforcement made it more onerous?

9. The Big Ragu

9/11 didn't signal the change.

FBAR has been around for decades. It was ignored, unless they were targeting someone already and looking to tack things on. In the last two years, the IRS has decided to make monitoring foreign accounts a priority, and everyday people (not people trying to evade taxes) who live and work abroad (and naturally have bank and investment accounts where they live) have gotten hit with a nightmare over old filings they hadn't bothered with. The IRS suddenly started going after people in a wide dragnet a year or two ago. Even if you have been declaring all of your income, and paying the double taxation the U.S. imposes, they can still come after you with penalties ranging from $10K to $100K if you hadn't jumped through the extra FBAR hoops by opening up your whole financial life to their scrutiny through declarations and filings that are due each June 30.

So we have a system that 1) double taxes our citizens living abroad in a way no other country does, and 2) On top of it, makes it even more onerous and obtrusive to play by the rules once you make the decision to live and work abroad.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I'd never heard of any of this until I had to edit a 3,000-word special report from Reuters on just such an issue. Guess it's time to make a few strategic bank transfers.

Did you know you can naturalize as a Belgian after just three years? Apparently it takes five in New Zealand, although you only have to be in the country for a little more than nine months out of the year.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As you probably know, it has made Belgian football clubs a popular place for European teams to send players on loan for a few years, to get around work permit issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted