1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denis Leary rips autism in his new book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Who would have thought Leary and Michael Savage would have something in common.

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/popcast/14342/learysangryautismattack/?cvqh=buzz_leary

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just ask other comedians about the "originality" of many of
    Leary's riffs.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting when Leary rings in on this. He has a kid that is learning disabled that had to attend special school.

I bet he was put through the ringer when he was trying to figure out what was wrong with his kid.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

John McCain is going to be pissed.

5. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Fuck Dennis Leary. Let him come to my house and meet my son, then tell me autism doesn't exist. Fuck him sideways.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The little boy to the left side of this message, the one who is fighting for his life? I hope someday he regains the ability to speak. To say the 4-5 words he knows at the age of 6. And for Leary to call his battle, his life station, bullshit? Makes me forget all the good Leary's done for firefighters.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It doesn't read like he's saying it doesn't exist; I read it as he's saying it gets misdiagnosed.

8. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

All I know is my son is not a moron. He is autistic. And, at the tender age of six, he's already had to deal with brain-dead assholes who judge him by his behavior without knowing his background.

Normally, I let stuff like this roll off my back. I mean, Dennis Leary hasn't been relevant -- or funny -- since he was declaring his undying love for Cindy Crawford on MTV spots back when I was in high school. Unless you count his stellar work in "The Ref." And that fireman show that about 25 people in the world watch.

But this one hits close to home. And call me a wet blanket, but I just don't see the fucking humor in it.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Big fan of Leary and Rescue Me or should I say was a big fan.

His comments are disgusting and hurtful. Anybody who believes this garbage should have to spend a day around autistic children.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet we are going to find out that Leary had a child that was misdianosed.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Seems so out of character for Leary to say what he said. He always struck me as a guy that, despite the image he tried to portray, was a rather caring person.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

much ado about nothing. leary doesn't say autism is a figment of people's imagination; simply that it's over-diagnosed with many modern parents way to eager to pin a name on a disorder to explain why johnny/sally is lagging behind his/her peers.

Draft saved Draft deleted