1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeNiro v. Pacino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 18, 2007.

?

Who's been better over his respective career?

1. Robert DeNiro

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Al Pacino

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Glengarry Glen Ross was the 1927 Yankees of great performances by great actors. You can add the best work Alec Baldwin's ever done in that movie to that statement too.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. This is a great thread. They are easily my two favorite modern movie actors (I ignore the bad stuff each has done), so it's kind of like asking me to pick between two beautiful women. I'd give a slight edge to DeNiro, I think, but not by much.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think I've been more disappointed by Pacino than DeNiro recently.

I loved The Good Shepherd. I think Pacino's last good movie was The Insider.

Both of them have made their fair share of shit.

To Pacino's credit I don't think he's done anything as bad as 15 Minutes or Rocky and Bullwinkle, although Two for the Money was pretty bad...

4. boots

boots New Member

They are about the best in the business.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd have to think about it, but I'd probably put Nicholson ahead of both... I think he's consistently better...

6. boots

boots New Member

Jack to me has become a one-trick pony. The same laugh. The same smirk. DeNiro can do it all and so can Pachino. They're more diversified, in my opinion.
    But I do like Jack. He makes money and his name is golden.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FB - I stand corrected on younger generations Depp, Penn, Damon and Ed Norton are all fantastic and make great film choices.
    As for the older folks, I think Eastwood has always been Clint in his movies, like Nicholson. When I think of Hackman I think of the Royal Tennenbaums, Heartbreakers, Hoosiers and The French Connection, Mississippi Burning and The Chamber. Duvall started out as Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird, does The Godfather, Falling Down, The Apostle, Tender Mercies and the Great Santini, not to mention Lonesome Dove.

8. boots

boots New Member

The older actors are more versatile. Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, their work speaks for them. Right now, of the younger set, I'm most impressed with Johnny Depp, Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You need to see more Edward Norton movies, boots.
    American History X.
    25th Hour.
    Awesome flicks.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm a big Duvall fan.

My favorite actor working today? Don Cheadle.

11. boots

boots New Member

A high honorable mention on my list.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If Pacino and DeNiro did a similar film (but not so much that it would be a rip-off) to Heat, only DeNiro was the law and Pacino was the crook, 1) would it be worth watching and 2) who would be the best director?

Draft saved Draft deleted