1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeNiro v. Pacino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 18, 2007.

?

Who's been better over his respective career?

1. Robert DeNiro

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Al Pacino

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dog Day Afternoon was a good role for Pacino.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Pacino suffers in my eyes for having done Godfather III. Piffle.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Anyone who considers Pacino even close.... please send me an eighth.

His past 20 years have been nothing other than pathetic screamfests.

DeNiro has smartly transitioned to his comic voice has he has aged.

Loved Midnight Run and Meet the Parents.

The last even halfway decent thing I have seen Pacino do was Sea of Love.... 15 years ago.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Midnight Run is one of the all-time underrated movies. Love that scene in the plane with Grodin - "these things go down, its too big, its too big"

and "you're going to suffer from fist-a-phobia if you don't shut the hell up."

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Occasionally, you read rumors DeNiro has expressed interest in the long-rumored Godfather IV, when he would be playing Vito Corleone during some of the same time periods already covered in GF I.

(Many of the same rumors also have Pacino playing an old and enfeebled Michael Corleone in the 1990s, as he watches the family empire finally crumble.)

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

As good of a movie as Heat was, Pacino just seemed uncomfortable about the whole thing.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I looooooooooooove Meet the Parents.

8. Y'all act like Pacino wasn't even in The Godfather. That's some epic acting, peops.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Duvall was on something, the Actors' Studio maybe, where he said everybody involved the GFIII was in it for the money and the reason he didn't get involved was, and I'm paraphrasing, "They were all in it for the money but they didn't want to give me my fair share of it. And I'm not running a charity over here."

Which I thought was a reasonable position.

10. Boognish

Boognish Member

Donnie Brasco

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bobby Duvall might be able to kick DeNiro's ass....that would be some steel cage match, throw Gene Hackman in there too.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, he wanted as much as Pacino, which wasn't.

Still and all, Coppola should have done whatever it took to get Duvall in the fold, since the whole plotline of GF III was supposed to be based on whether or not Tom Hagen would betray Michael Corleone, and if so, when and how.

Draft saved Draft deleted