1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deng to Cleveland for Bynum, 3 draft choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colton, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_cavaliers_trade_andr.html#incart_river

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

BULLS ASSISTANT COACH(ES)
    Ron Adams (College - Fresno Pacific, Fresno State)
    Andy Greer (College - SUNY Brockport)
    Adrian Griffin (College - Seton Hall)
    Ed Pinckney (College - Villanova)
    Mike Wilhelm (College - Southampton)

I hope they're all either unmarried or very, very happily married.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Saw a crawl on the WWL this morning stating just Deng for Bynum. My first thought was WTF? However, Deng may have walked after this year and getting those picks is good move by the Bulls. As is waiving Bynum ;D.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait, the Bulls aren't even keeping Bynum? Their assistant coaches will be happy about that.

This must be the awesomeness of the NBA that qtlaw was talking about, where players don't get traded but contracts do, and two more teams declare for the tank-o-rama. It's so great!

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Acquiring Bynum's contract for the purpose of cutting his ass is awesome. Its what pro sports are all about.

F Desean.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My understanding is Bynum's salary for the second half of the season was guaranteed if he was on a roster: Cleveland's, Chicago's, or anyone elses. I could be wrong, though.

I still cannot understand why Philly was so stupid.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

As long as the Bulls cut him by 5 today the contract is not guaranteed.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yes, it was guaranteed only for a half season, and if he was on a roster tomorrow (or maybe at the end of the day today), the rest of the 2013-14 season was guaranteed. So he was being traded solely to be cut.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So he'll sign with the Lakers by when?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Cavs are tanking by trading for an All-Star who seriously upgrades the weakest position on their team?

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, the Bulls are tanking by trading away an All-Star for draft picks while Derrick Rose is out rehabbing his knee anyway.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On the tanking thread, I posted the Bulls track record with a slew of high lottery picks for about a decade. It's strange. A lot of the picks have turned out to be NBA All-Stars, like Chandler, Deng, Rose, Brand, and Noah. And yet ... not a single Finals appearance. Pretty frustrating, and a reason I'm not all that wild about a second run at rebuilding through the draft - even though I know it's the right move. It's just tough to watch it all unravel so quickly after being so close.

Draft saved Draft deleted