1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems' latest oil answer: Speed limits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Rocker would have said women in general.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Where are your statistics?

I'm searching around and the closest I could find was a study in Hong Kong proving that accidents went up. (link here)

I have heard during a news report over the radio that since the increase in gasoline prices, the number of accidents have gone down because less people are driving and those that are driving are driving slower. I haven't found a link to this one yet, either.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you have an electric vehicle then should you be able to do 65?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure. Why not relax and enjoy the drive?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why exactly is driving a privilege and not a right? I'm not being facetious. By whose grace, do I get that privilege? Is it a privilege for me to ride my bike somewhere? How about to take a walk? If I even shift my weight in my chair right now, do I need permission?

If driving a car -- and this is not about regulating it to make sure I do it in safe manner that doesn't impinge on other's rights -- doesn't fall under the most basic right of "liberty," then I think it's safe to say we have no rights; just privileges.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Once in my last newspaper job, I was 2/3 of the way across the state covering state championship football when I realized the hard way that my paycheck hadn't cleared the bank yet (company refused to use direct deposit for some strange reason and still doesn't). I locked the cruise control on 55 mph all the way back and made 200 miles on almost 7 gallons of gas (I spent the last cash I had on it) in a large car with a V6. Fortunately, it was fairly cool so I could turn the A/C off.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are being sarcastic, but you gave me an idea. Guys are hardwired to want to get where they are going as fast as possible.

But what if we put giant video screens of naked women all along the interstates. That would be a good incentive for folks to slow down and rubberneck.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Driving is a privilege extended to those who have passed appropriate tests to prove they have the ability to do so; those who have passed those tests carry a small certificate proving it. We call that certificate a driver's license.

Driving is a privilege because an automobile is a heavy piece of equipment that in the wrong hands can cause all manner of mayhem.

::) ::) ::) ::)

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not being sarcastic at all. I enjoy driving, I find it fun and very relaxing when all I've got is an open road and some great music. What's the rush?

I save going fast for times like this.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Knock yourself out, grandma.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Only the person in front of me.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And honking at GB-Hack won't help. He's got the Rush CD cranked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted