1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demolition Derby writers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I can honestly say that in all the years I've been coming to this site, I don't think I've ever seen a job posting involving demolition derby. Problem solved. From craigslist:

Seeking Freelance Writers - Demolition Derby Magazine
    Date: 2010-02-21, 8:08AM CST
    Reply to: job-vts7g-1610761011@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

National news magazine serving fans and enthusiasts of demolition derbies is seeking freelance journalists for feature and general interest articles for print and online. FYI - A demolition derby is a motorsports event where multiple car drivers deliberately crash their vehicles into each other, with the last car standing declared the winner.

Various projects and schedules available. Ideal candidates will be knowledgeable in motorsports (ideally demolition derbies) and will have the ability to color their stories with attitude/opinion/humor. Interviewing, telephone and research skills needed.

For consideration, please send a SAMPLE OF WRITING STYLE (up to 500 words) that gives us a taste of your ability. Thanks!

* Compensation: TBD
    * Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    * Please, no phone calls about this job!
    * Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 1610761011

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/wri/1610761011.html

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I liked that they put in a definition.

My Craigs' List has an ad for a travel story writer. $3 per 500-word acticle, it says. "Article submissions should take around 10 to 15 minutes. After we accept you as an author, we will send you requirements for 50 articles, which we expect to be completed in 15 to 30 days. Payment through PayPal is immediate upon completion. "

Demolition sounds like more fun. I'd imagine the drivers would be quite colorful.

It's posted on the Chicago CL, too.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds great, but the writer better be prepared for the calls from the parents of the the JV demolition derby drivers.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

There was a pretty good story in the Phoenix New Times about the characters in a demolition derby circuit out that way, and it made the 2003 BASW (I think it was 2003, it was the one with the Bobby Fischer and Munich Olympic stories at any rate).

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I never knew there was a publication called Demolition Derby Magazine. Demo derbies are fun events, got to cover a couple over the years. There's actually more strategy than meets the eye.

6. Have they done a piece on the Malachi Crunch yet? That's as far as I can go ...

Draft saved Draft deleted