1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats debate from Philly (ABC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

What a debacle. And let's not even get into how inappropriate it was to have someone like Stephanopolous, who worked for Bill Clinton before he began masquerading as a television journalist, serving as one of the hosts. Ethics anyone?

More evidence why television new organizations are ever more irrelevant.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My guess would be that NBC is showing Playoff Hockey. CBS and FOX have some re-run crap. The writers strike only just ended so there are no real new shows on the docket.

This is likely better than "Celebrity Pet Tricks."
    Which is why this type of venue will never happen in the General Election. McCain will not agree to it. Hell, McCain will not agree to a debate where he has to stand up if his opponent is Obama.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He won't have a choice.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Why are any of you shocked by this?

Presidential debates, or any kind of political debate for that matter, have been this way for a long time. It's not about issues at all; either the audience isn't interested in hearing those issues discussed at depth, or the TV honchos don't think they're interested. So it comes down to silly stuff like this, with the "winner" not being who has the best ideas, but who sounds and looks the most likeable.

5. From washingtonpost.com:

Tom Shales channels Daffy Duck.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Zeke12 is dead on: No one had a worse night than the two idiot moderators. And I like Charlie Gibson, but last night he was dreadful.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Of course he will. Hell, GWB was granted everything under the sun from Gore and then Kerry in order to setup a debate. It was obvious to anyone and everyone that Bush is a complete moron and when placed in a debate situation he cannot hold his own. Bush just refused to do them unless given all that he wanted.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, he can sit behind a desk if he wants to. But even HRC would be able to carve John up. And presuming it's BO? Won't be pretty.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree which is why I believe there is no way that McCain agrees to a debate that doesn't give him some sort of advantage going in. The debaters will need to be seated. The questions will be known in advance. There will be no spontanious questions from the audience. Etc.

10. Has zeke's head exploded yet?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Those two made me yearn for Russert.

12. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/16/abc-hosts-heckled-after-d_n_97124.html

According to this Huffington Post video clip, Gibson and Stephanopolous were heckled. I can't make out what one of the crowd was shouting.

Draft saved Draft deleted