1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats debate from Philly (ABC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was the thought that hit me as I was watching this too, Dan. McCain would be no match for either one of these people in this venue.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Everyone at ABC involved in producing this ought to be fucking ashamed of themselves.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I must not be as politically savvy. I didn't see it as any huge disaster.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

McCain could get laid out by either, in a sustained one-on-one.

Not quick enough.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm watching right now, shot, and the topic selection ranges from ridiculous to irrelevant.

Perhaps it gets better, but, right now, I have no idea what ABC was thinking, other than, "Let's play two hours of gotcha, and just ignore that boring stuff like health care and the housing crisis."

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, the housing crisis definitely gets addressed later on. They didn't hit health care as hard as they should have.

As far as the "gotcha" factor, I thought that only helped Obama, because he unfailingly manages to point out that "gotcha" is no basis on which to conduct a presidential race.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That ABC decided to air this on a tape-delay to the West Coast and have ad breaks pretty much tells me that they saw this as a ratings grabber and they wanted to keep the audience's attention. Should be interesting to see the numbers.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, I agree. I don't think it's an embarassment because I think Obama did poorly. I think he did pretty well, considering.

But, Tuzla, Wright, flag pins, Bill Ayers, affirmative action, capital gains taxes? No one cares. People care about the economy, the war and health care.

The candidates -- both of them -- were much better than the moderators and producers.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If anything, the debate can end the candidate X is ducking questions about ..... talk from the GOP.

And I know this is off topic, but if you wanted to see a real trainwreck tonight try and catch a replay of Larry King's interview with the vacant-eyed women from YFZ Ranch. I couldn't figure out whether interviewer or interviewees were more out of it. Hilarious.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Did Hillary think that mentioning cities in Pennsylvania as part of every answer -- "I was talking with someone in Harrisburg this week" -- gets her votes? She sounds like an arena rock band pandering for cheap applause.

11. Totally agree. I was actually yelling at my TV which is something usually reserved for sports.

That was garbage.

My favorite line was either Stephanpeppoououlsus or Gibson saying, "Well this is something that's going to be out there on the internet...'

So fucking what? So you're letting the internet dictate your questions? You're supposed to be the best of the best when it comes to journalism and you're asking questions based on chain e-mails and talk radio? That's bullshit.

Why not ask about Obama being a Muslim or Hillary's lesbian lover and the Vince Foster murder. I mean, they're out there on the internet.

Total garbage.

EDIT: And I'm not the only one who thinks so:

from time.com

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

HEY!

Hillary's not a lesbian . . . so far as I know!

Lieberman made a parallel kind of crack about Obama's religious views yesterday on Imus . . . and you thought the skunk bastard hadn't already sunk as low as you can sink.

Draft saved Draft deleted