1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats debate from Philly (ABC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

HRC makes me laugh sometimes. On Saturday, after talking about BO and Rev. Wright again, she was asked the last time she went to church. Her answer (or non-answer) was that the question wasn't relevant. Same, after talking about hunting with her dad. Begged the question of when the last time she fired a gun. Again, she poo-pooed the question.
    It's a recurring theme with her. She talks up her experience, but many of her answers to that point are that she has more than Obama. Non-specifics, lies (Bosnia), or claim the question isn't pertinent.
    I may end up voting for McCain. Right now, I lean toward Obama. Wouldn't vote for Clinton for dogcatcher. I just don't find her trustworthy.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Highlight for me was when Hillary said the Republicans should just admit Bush was a disaster and withdraw from the race altogether as an apology. Not a bad idea.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One thing I know both of them have wrong is when they say they each think the other can win in November.

They're both lying, of course, and I would admire either of them – especially her – a lot more if she'd just say out loud what she and her minions have been saying privately.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pardon me if I'm wrong ... but if you're counting parties as you vote, aren't you flying in the face of what Obama is standing for in the first place?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm not counting parties. I'm just saying that at the state level, there aren't many Dems who are worth my vote who are up for election right now.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

She said that?

Tremendous.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who's she kidding? Her "ANYBODY but her" numbers have NEVER been higher. And she's brought it upon herself.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those like me who missed the debate and have some time to do some reading:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/us/politics/16text-debate.html?pagewanted=all

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you have ABC News Now, they appear to be re-running it now, too.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a rough debate. Neither candidate seemed to find a rhythm and I credit the moderators for asking questions that kept H and O off their talking points, and challenging the candidates. Although it was odd seeing George grilling HRC knowing they worked together in the White House (but I didn't notice any bias). Agree with the number of "gotcha" questions including the Weatherman acquaintance of Obama (which Steph got from Sean Hannity yesterday). Obama showed he was tougher than I thought he was (he's not all sweetness and light). HRC showed a firm command of the issues but didn't seem to connect with the audience.
    Tough night for the TV viewer though between this, the NBA, the Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner (Cheney and Romney were funnier than Mo Rocca) and American Idol.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You credit the moderators for a two-hour gotcha fest in which maybe five minutes were devoted to substantive questions? I guess your view of a good debate differs from mine.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think they brought up a lot of stuff that has been in the news since the last debate and hadn't been addressed by the candidates to such a potentially large audience. They've discussed their platforms at length and while I concede the questions were stupid (I really wish Obama said it's a proven fact that wearing a flag lapel pin does not bring wisdom to the wearer), I think it showed that either candidate would dust McCain in a similarly structured debate. Imagine McCain being asked about mixing up Shia and Shite repeatedly, his alliances with anti-Catholic pastors, and his cozy relationship with lobbyists.

Draft saved Draft deleted