1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats and/or liberals: Which Republican should we be rooting for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Root for Huckabee. There's not a chance in hell he can be elected in the general, unless there's been a recent push for a theocracy I missed.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Poor Mahoney. He never even saw the right cross coming.

3. Best or most beatable?
    Best is McCain.
    Beatable is everybody else.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

McCain opposes federal funding for stem cell.
    McCain wants to keep the troops in Iraq "as long as necessary."
    McCain thinks Roe v. Wade is flawed and wants it overturned.
    McCain has voted against federal funding for alternative fuel research.

How could it be worse?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

“I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And thats what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family.”

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The thing is, Huckster supports research for alternative fuels.

I'm also with him on immigration. Those are two biggies for me.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to amend the Constitution? Huckster wouldn't be able to do it all by himself.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Waaah!

I never said anything about what was or wasn't OK. I actually find threads like these entertaining.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as Jack -- life-long independent.

Of all the GOP candidates, I could probably live with McCain the easiest. His 'agents of intolerance' U-turn still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but he's still the most palatable of the bunch.

Huckabee? I'd sooner become a Paulista.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With him on how he treated immigration as governor, or how he has turned hard right on the issue as a candidate? I'm thinking he'll turn away from any hint of moderate-ness to try to win the nom.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't live in a state with a huge number of "undocumented workers" but I fail to see why folks who come over here and work at lower-wage jobs are a huge problem necessitating walls being built around our borders.

Yet, we ship white collar jobs and factories to India and China and that's just business.

I don't get it. On a list of 10 things this country needs to do or fix, immigration wouldn't make the cut.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I never really understand the mindset of hoping someone you dislike gets nominated. It's not a team sport - it's the presidency. I want the best possible candidate on each side.

In that regard, I hope McCain gets it, although it's pretty unlikely I'd vote for a Republican this time around. I might go for McCain over Hillary.

As for why the right doesn't like McCain much, it's because they don't trust him to toe the party line. He has no problem breaking from the party if he doesn't agree with the GOP majority. Honestly, he introduced legislation with Ted Kennedy. That alone is enough to give some on the right a seizure.

And really, the whole Falwell "flip-flop" thing has been badly overblown. He called Falwell and his ilk "agents of intolerance"; he took a ton of shit for it from the Christian wing of the right; years later Falwell invited him to speak at commencement at Liberty University, and McCain apologized for the "Agents of intolerance" line. Jesus, big deal. Yeah, McCain was right the first time, and he knows he was right the first time, but some hatchets are worth burying. It's not good for a GOP candidate to be hated by the Christian wing of the right.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And along those lines, I find it interesting that the two people linked to the much-criticized "amnesty" bill are the Senator from Arizona and the President from Texas -- two of the three states most impacted by illegal immigration. I would think they have a slightly better understanding of the problem than the critics from Wisconsin. (And no, it's not an effort to court the Hispanic vote - that vote's going to the Democrats.)

Illegal immigration is the gay marriage of this election. The amount of real-life impact is dwarfed by the amount of hand-wringing going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted