1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats and/or liberals: Which Republican should we be rooting for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I put 'em here, and I'm too old and decrepit to pick 'em up and move 'em.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, see, it's not his turn. Bush fatigue.

Eight years of HRC, followed by eight years of Jeb, by which point Chelsea will be old enough to run.

If we're lucky, we can concentrate the presidency in the hands of two families for most of my natural life.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Huck's nuts, but at least he gives a big f off to the old tax cuts for the rich philosophy.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's not, and say we did.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days, I don't know if there's any of the front-runners on either side who isn't electable...

Republicans feel this way about Hillary, but I think they had better be careful what they wish for... Democrats should feel the same way about Huckabee...

I really feel like there are still 6-8 people who can win this thing...

6. Mizzougrad96

As a republican, I'm praying that it's not Thompson or Huckabee... I like Giuliani, but I don't think he has a chance anymore...

Of course, I felt the same way about McCain a few months ago...

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If you're Republican, you could root for either Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee. Both have similar values to conservative republicans and aren't so stick-in-the-butt to piss off the majority of moderate republicans.

If you're Democrat, you want to vote for John McCain because he is a Democrat at heart, or how would you say, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

McCain is extremely conservative, HH. He's not a democrat in any way, other than not liking torture.

EDIT: Really truly the GOPer most like a traditional big spending democrat is Huckabee.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will never understand the hardcore GOP dislike of McCain.

Is it because the press likes him? Because the man has no liberal or progressive opinions on which to base that assertion.

10. Mizzougrad96

You're wrong about McCain... He's just playing the game the way it needs to be played to get elected... After what happened to him in 2000, I'm glad he's doing whatever is necessary... He's a great man and would be a great president...

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on McCain, mizzou. I think he's very conservative, but I'd be OK with him as a president, which is all I really want out of the other side. Somebody like Reagan, who I may not agree with, but who governs well (if that makes any sense at all).

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think if McCain wins, you'll see a lot of quiet hints at just how freakin' old the guy is. That, to me, is his major Achilles' heel.

And pal, how is it not OK for liberals to discuss beatable Republicans, but it's totally OK for Republicans to salivate over the prospect of Hillary running?

Draft saved Draft deleted