1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats and/or liberals: Which Republican should we be rooting for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 18, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Limbaugh, TP. Damn, I hope you spell better at work than you do on this board. :)

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Like the debates actually mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I'd submit that a significant majority of voters don't take the responsibility of voting seriously enough to actually watch the debates.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no fucking problem pall. i've learned that only republican's call in to bitch about that kind of stuff ... or anything for that matter. :D

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Part of me is pulling for the Huckster, because he would rightly make that party face their complete and total abuse of at least a core of their supporters.

Then I remember that Shrub got elected.

As far as who is beatable, I'd say Romney, just because in what's shaping up to be a democratic year, he doesn't gin up any of the GOP base camps.

All told, it depends on who the Democratic nominee is...

Oh, and pallister, they have cake at the GOP circle-jerks? ;)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Just stock options.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Enticing, but less so. I mean, frosting's frosting, but look at what would have happened to your options this week...

I guess I'll stick to the hippy-jerks.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ron Paul. His batshit-crazy past would finally become clear. Fred Thompson catching fire scares me the most among the GOP. The prospect of the winner of the Obama-Clinton internecine war being greatly weakened scares me more, tho.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd vote for Bloomie if he runs.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Zeke, you've gotten to the heart of the issue. I want so badly to root for Huckster... But dare I?

dools, you bring up issues for different threads.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

As a centrist Independent, am I allowed to post here? I'm a liberal in my old home town and a conservative in my current (over 20 years) one.

I think your decision depends first, on your national security/national defense stance, and second, on your social programs/ideals stance. Hell, if the Republicans can't decide--and it seems they can't--how can you?

If the polls are any good, the candidate you should most fear is McCain.

The candidate the Republicans most fear is Obama.

Depending on the news/revelations, that could change tomorrow.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Truthfully, I hope McCain gets the GOP nod. I think that should the Dem nominee not win, he'd be a decent president. I may not agree with him, but I could live with him as president.

I could not live in a country with Huckabee as president.

Course given where I live, I'll more than likely vote for the Green party candidate myself.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

National politics are practically an aristocracy anyway, so let's see Jeb get in the race.

Draft saved Draft deleted