1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Debate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, good ol' Adlai Stevenson: the Democrats' version of the GOP's resident Don Quixote, who distinguished himself by losing to a very sick FDR in '44 and getting his ass handed to him by a scrambling Harry Truman four years later.

No word if Bob Shrum was running Tommy Dewey's '48 campaign. But given its result, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"The moustache, Tom . . . it has to GO!"

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What, you don't like your candidates looking like they came off a wedding cake? (Clare Boothe Luce).

BTW, if you think about it, Dewey was the Ur prototype of Rudy Giuliani: a prosecutor who made his bones going after the Mob and parlaying that into a political career.

The only difference -- aside from the fact Dewey had the personality of that wedding cake statue -- is Rudy was presumptuous enough to figure that 9/11 meant he didn't need to take the next step and become governor of New York as Dewey was.

4. I don't believe I've said that.
    I have problems with Obama, but they're far from insurmountable, and the same is true with Clinton.
    I wouldn't vote for John McCain for dogcatcher, however.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well I didn't think you would! I know some liberals/moderates/Democrats are severely misguided about him... but I wouldn't think that of you.

You did say he was the best of the clowns, however.

Speaking of McCain... not sure if this was posted on the Republican debate thread.

Folks, folks, THIS is what passes for the "Straight Talk Express" now?

ANDERSON COOPER: So I just want to confirm that you would not vote for your bill as it originally was?

MCCAIN: My bill will not be voted on; it will not be voted on. I will sit and work with Democrats and Republicans and with all people. And we will have the principals securing the borders first.

And then, if you want me to go through the description all over again, I would be glad to. We will secure the borders first. That's the responsibility and the priority of the American people.

???

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The current governor set off on the same path, but alas, he's sinking in the quicksand as we speak . . .

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's the radioactive issue. Everyone dances around it, and obfuscates. Nobody can play it straight.

Because it's the third rail. You play it straight, and you die.

8. That's hilarious.
    How did I mis it?
    He wouldn't sign his own bill?
    How is that not worse than being for the war before you were against it which, legislatively at least, was somewaht accurate.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm wondering if it's because it got so much junk thrown in there or modified to not his liking.
    Just playing Devil's Advocate on this one.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

'

Bigot.

Draft saved Draft deleted