1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 15, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hillary can still lose it, despite the polls.
    It seems to me back in '04 that Kerry was being left for dead a few months before the Iowa primaries and that Howard Dean had the nomination wrapped up. Look what happened.
    The question is which Democrat will come out of nowhere to win Iowa and New Hampshire to deal Hillary a setback?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is like saying that one of the Flying Wallendas can still fall when he's halfway across the tight rope, or that Evel Knievel might not land safely. It ain't easy becoming president.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seems to me Leonard's big loser tonight was ... John Edwards.

4. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

CNN's post coverage sucked ass. I realize there are polls, but only three candidates got discussed while four were relegated to snippets only. Horrible, unbalanced schlock from people saying how they agreed with each other. J.C. Watts' points were as bad as his 'do. They are so far up some of these people's asses that they can't see straight. Makes me weep for democracy when this is what a "debate" passes for.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've never been a huge fan of Biden, but I actually think he did pretty well last night. Highlighting his experience worked to his advantage.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Observations: Didn't see very much, but I thought Edwards was effective positioning HRC as "corporate Democrat." I like funny little Kucinich in his role as conscience of the Democratic party. Dodd tries to be way too calculated. Obama is far more effective in his stump speeches than in debates. HRC imay yet triangulate herself herself out of the nomination.

7. How in the hell does CNN hire Carville -- who's working for HRC -- to represent The Left on that panel? First of all, he ain't The Left. Second, he works for one of the campaigns. I take back what I said on another thread, Hejira H. Take the campaign manager's job. Nobody gives a damn about ethics any more.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Without the scream, Dean's loss in Iowa would've been nothing but a speedbump (Kerry would've won his N.H. backyard anyhow.) Instead, it was like Greg Stillson holding up the baby.

I don't know if Hillary will either allow herself or be allowed to make a mistake like that. But if she does, with all the primaries in the South not long afterward, it would set up for a nice Edwards run.

9. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I'm not sure I understand your point.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not with you on much, but I could have written that post.

wfw

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

After watching the late replay, I think two things:

The moderation was an absolute joke. The questions were horrible, and every single point Blitzer tried to press on was based on a ridiculous hypothetical. The Senator from Illinois had the line of the night (non-Biden-freedom-of-no-chance-in-hell division)

BLITZER: Senator Obama, is human rights more important than American national security?

OBAMA: The concepts are not contradictory, Wolf.

Obama did well -- the cheers quickly overwhelmed the boos when he made his point on social security, and calling it an attack on Hillary is a stretch. It's pointing out an instance where Hillary is utterly and completely full of shit.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only thing we can conclude about the debates is that there is not one good canidate at this point -- from either party.

I did like last night night when Dodd switched back and forth from english to spanish.

In white house that skill would have comedic value.

Draft saved Draft deleted