1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Congresswoman Among 12 Shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Re: Democratic Congresswoman Assassinated in Arizona

CNN.com's live video feed had the words "Giffords Dead" at the bottom of the screen WHILE the anchor was saying "We are still not sure of Gifford's condition."

Wow.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Usually those people are made editors.

3. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Where did that graphic come from?

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Her opponents web site.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

What Moddy said. I'm not taking the Huff Post story as fact...yet. I think that was too damn quick for them to have a reason for this. For the assertion that this was a Palin "hit list" is about as weak of an excuse to use right now. Palin didn't contribute to what Arizona was already dealing with in re immigration.

With that said, we don't know what the shooter's intent was in committing this crime this morning. The shooter could have been a pissed off constituent mad about something unrelated to immigration, Palin, or politics; mentally unstable, or trying to gain attention for himself.

It's getting out of hand on Twitter. Mike Freeman of CBS is running with the Huff Post "hit list" story and people think Palin ordered the hit. She didn't order anyone to do anything. This shooter took it upon himself to commit this act.

Right now, bow your head and say a prayer and hope.

KOLD-TV is reporting that she is in surgery.

6. Re: Democratic Congresswoman Assassinated in Arizona

Look, regardless of the outcome of this particular instance, it's obvious that this tragedy brings up some important issues and emotions. To me, the key to handling them is for both sides to use this as a sobering reminder of checking ourselves as much as the other side.

In that regard, there is no way I can see Sarah Palin criminally responsible if this was a political shooting. That said, for folks to call people idiots for pointing out the irresponsibility of putting targets up in campaign literature does not help either. Sure, there is inflammatory stuff on both sides, but it's one thing to name-call, it's another to bombard with gun images. That's not to say Palin wanted anyone dead; of course not. But it is a call for responsibility.

The problem goes much deeper though. And these days unfortunately, unlike most, I would say the media is more hurting than helping. All the stuff they used to say about us sensationalizing and just grabbing headlines used to be bullcrap. Now? Not necessarily as much. We used to be the voice of reason. Now too often we're just another voice screaming for attention at any cost.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Obviously.

But...

People who use violence for political reasons in relatively free and democratic countries, do so because they feel emboldened and empowered by the likes of Sarah Palin. When the Klan was murdering Blacks in the South with relative impunity, they did it because they was a segment of the political structure that acquiesced. The Klan exists still, but they don't kill with impunity any more, because the Strom Thurmonds and George Wallaces no longer are around to nod and wink at the Klan. But as long as FoxNEWS, Jim DeMint and Sarah Palin wink and nod at the ultra-right wing fascist bigots, political murders and violence will exist.

8. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I agree. Like someone said, it no longer matters whether or not you're right. It only matters that you get it first and can explain why you get it wrong.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That Huffington Post story was from last March.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Michele Bachman: "I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous" to block climate change legislation.

Yup. Both sides. Cause hey, Rahm Emmanuel once sent a dead fish to someone so woe is politics.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm calling people idiots if they think Palin is responsible for this. But some seem to think political violence and bigotry is limited to one side of the aisle.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CNN has shooter as 21-year-old male.

That's awfully young for someone to be politically outraged to the point of murder.

It's sad & tragic no matter what the motive is, but it will still be interesting to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.