1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Congresswoman Among 12 Shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Democratic Congresswoman Assassinated in Arizona

I understand the frustration and anger. I feel it, too. But let's not get carried away. Sarah Palin has a First Amendment right to be a moron. She does. We can't criminalize symbolism and rhetoric. That's not what we stand for. It's just not.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This.

Should this be a sobering reminder that the war/killing/guns rhetoric that is used in a number of facets of everyday life is probably inappropriate? Sure.

But reminders like that happen all that time. We usually forget about them in a week or so.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: Democratic Congresswoman among 12 shot in Arizona. Four deaths reported.

KOLD says it has no confirmation Giffords is dead.

As an aside, Giffords was one of the Congresspeople who got donations from Keith Olbermann, and her office was one of the ones vandalized as the health care vote approached.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/22/reports-emerge-of-vandalism-at-democratic-offices/

4. Re: Democratic Congresswoman among 12 shot in Arizona. Four deaths reported.

This is exactly right. Horrible story. Thoughts and prayers for the victims. But please just let this play out before jumping to conclusions on any side.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Democratic Congresswoman among 12 shot in Arizona. Four deaths reported.

Words like "targeting" and "reload" matter. Stop pretending they don't, and that both sides play mean.

Take a deep breath and stop defending something so cowardly and reckless as what Palin did with that poster. It didn't get Giffords killed on its own. But it was no less bullshit.

6. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Very good point. For anyone on the news side of the business, and I understand this is a tragically unique situation, how long does it usually take for police to release information on the killer?

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Absent direct knowledge of the plan there will be no criminal charge against Palin. People do have the right to question her judgement.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment at the moment...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Regardless of the reason, this should act as a sobering reminder of the need for tighter rules in this country. Politics aside, that someone could go up to any elected official and do this is outrageous. I, for one, hope the person who did this faces swift and decisive punishment.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What sort of rules do you have in mind to stop something as ancient as murder?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

KOLD reports Giffords is in surgery.

And, Stitch, I'm really trying hard not to be political, but the Bush administration liked to tell us over and over that words matter. Again, we don't know the motivation of the shooter. But, at the least, anyone who puts gun targets up and talks about "Second Amendment" solution has to be conscious that in this very inflammatory political environment, there are people who are going to take it the wrong way. I'm not saying they have no right to say what they said, but they have to be at least aware of how people might take it.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

This incident needs to be carefully investigated to insure all coconspirators are arrested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.