1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Congresswoman Among 12 Shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Then of course there's that whole subset of the Tea Party that is so concerned about whether or not Obama is eligible to be President and demand to see his original birth certificate, but never had any of these same concerns about any of the previous President.
    I wonder why that is.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You don't know that and you can't prove it.

It's pure conjecture that just supports your own world view.

3. YankeeFan

Birthers pre-date the Tea Party.

As dumb as the "Birther" "movement" is, it's at least based on the fact that is father is from another country.

The fact that I can't think of a former President who had to endure similar challenges is likely due to the fact that there was nothing to (perversely) base it on.

But, McCain (born in the Panama Canal Zone) & George Romney (born in Mexico) both faced questions as to their eligibility.

There are crazies on both sides. If there were a Republican candidate with a background similar to Obama's (having one parent being a foreign national) I have no doubt that he would face similar claims.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Weatherman/ SDS crew were about as peaceful as Al Qaeda.

I submit that the Kent State shootings would have never happened without the weathermen.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The fact that Obama's father was born in another country has nothing to do with whether or not he's eligible.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

(Imagining the stamping of feets above me).

Yeah, pure coincidence, I'm sure.

Anyhoo, if the Tea Party isn't just a bunch of people who woke up from their civic-duty stupor and realized a black became president, then they should have the courage of their convictions and actually be their own party, and not just a pressure point in the GOP. But hey, (Ayn) Rand Paul doesn't get elected for anything above dogcatcher that way.

7. YankeeFan

Don't misinterpret me. I know that and did not mean to imply otherwise.

I'm just saying that it was the jumping off place for them to (wrongly) claim that he was born elsewhere.

8. YankeeFan

Why would they start their own party?

Maybe it will come to that if they feel like they've been taken advantage of by the GOP, but it would be a dumb move to do it off the bat.

Third parties rarely achieve anything. By working within a party, they've already had a dramatic effect.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Calm down, Rex.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You sure do make a lot of assumptions, YF. And I'm sure a smart guy like you doesn't need to be reminded what happens when we assume.

But since I could give a flying fig what you think about me - per your latest self-righteous delusional rant... I'll let it go. I'm not a fan of Bill Ayers, his past, or his methods. Or the Unabomber, a despicable coward and murderer who is paying for his crimes in prison, as he should.

But if you want to think I am, no skin off my nose. You used to be able to have a respectful discussion with those you disagree with, without casting aspersions on someone's character or education. I'm sorry you felt the need to change.

And yeah, you were the one who played the race card. I made an observation ... you were the one who ascribed my opinion to racism. Again, doesn't bother me. I have a biracial child and I date outside my race, so I don't need to read about racism on a message board - and I certainly don't need a lecture on it from you. I see it every day.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From Weathermen manifesto:

"The most important task for us toward making the revolution, and the work our collectives should engage in, is the creation of a mass revolutionary movement, without which a clandestine revolutionary party will be impossible . A revolutionary mass movement is different from the traditional revisionist mass base of "sympathizers . " Rather it is akin to the Red Guard in China, based on the full participation and involvement of masses of people in the practice of making revolution; a movement with a full willingness to participate in the violent and illegal struggle."

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, that's the guy who was being repressed in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.