1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrat Activists Trying To Piss Away Their Majority

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 21, 2007.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Oh God, this shit again?

From the article:

Yes, the Democratic leadership is certainly hanging Tauscher out to dry, just like it hung Lieberman out when both Clintons and the rest of the party's power base publicly supported him against Lamont.

So Tauscher will likely get a primary challenge. Boo-fucking-hoo. It's called democracy.

Oh, and without the evil liberal netroots, Conrad Burns and George Allen are probably still in the Senate today, which means the Democrats would have no majority to allegedly piss away.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll be happy with no agenda 99 times out of 100.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Mighty low expectations of any government you'd defend.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But Joe, those guys you mentioned are Republicans. Now they're going after their own. Those they don't consider liberal enough. Kind of like how the GOP started going after their moderate elected officials and ran further right candidates against them.

Yes, at the local level it's called a democracy. But at the national level don't you worry about keeping your majority? I guess I'm asking what's more important, running a candidate that is far more of an ideologue but will likely lose in the general election, or someone that aligns with you most of the time, keeps their seat, and allows you much better opportunity to push your national agenda forward?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's true. Do you have high expectations for the government?

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm cynical of most breathing souls in Washington....on both sides of the aisle. Most liberals are hypocrites. Most conservatives are hypocrites. I'm not cynical of the purpose of doing what needs to be done in Iraq and Iran. I am critical of the mistakes the man in charge has made. Does that change the need to complete the mission? I don't think so.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is the mission?

And wouldn't you have really rather done nothing than gotten entangled in this in the first place?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wasn't mission accomplished?

9. First of all, Head, relax. Tauscher deserves to be primaried on Iraq. She's out of line with 70 percent of the country, and a bigger percentage of her own party. Which is why internal Democratic politics is of less interest than watching the R's scramble away from the clusterfuck that is the current Republican leadership. They're stuck with an unpopular war and an incompetent president, and every poll says it's getting worse, not better.
    One CD in California, which they can hold anyway, isn't a trend, and the WaPo political crew hasn't exactly been rational on the subject of the netroots which, as Joe pointed out, is largely responsible for the Senate majority in the first place.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No. What it really sounds like is you missed us a lot more than we missed you.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I didn't say that....never said it. I totally agreed that Bush claiming victory on that ship was so premature and so ill-advised. There wasn't a plan to win the peace. I've said all along that the fact the borders were not sealed was a horrible blunder and not-so-shocking in retrospect considering we do such a good job with our own borders. Would that have ceased all retaliation? No, you still had pockets of Baathists. And we couldn't have sealed those borders off forever. But at least, by then, the leadership within the country could have become stable, the military and police trained, and order in synch.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Psst, Alley: I was mentioned in posts even while gone. Just the thought of me not being here made people lonely :)

Draft saved Draft deleted