1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

demise of "s.i." truly saddens me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, May 27, 2009.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm well aware Peter King's probably 10 times the writer I am, but I can't read anything he writes.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

To me, it fits the 'too much jewelry rule,' as in, if you look at yourself in the mirror and one glaring item draws your focus away from the overall look, take it off.

So many smoother ways to say he protects his privacy (which King has undoubtedly learned first hand. Sorry, could not resist.).

Also, I'll guess they went with this cover now because now is when King got the interview.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, what she said much better than i did. there were many ways to say the same thing/make the same point without using "jealously" in this awkward fashion. thanks for translating, 21.

and i'm clearly biased being an nfl guy, but brady's first interview of any substance since his surgery seems cover-worthy to me. i mean, all the nba series were just a couple of games old, way too premature to be the cover. nothing else in the issue struck me as cover-worthy.

no doubt the boston scribes read the piece jealously. :D ;) 8)

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, they referred to "Sarah Fischer" in the Castroneves story last week. I know next to nothing about IndyCar, but even I knew that wasn't how you spell her name.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of IndyCar, they had Ryan Hunter-Reay in the pop culture grid a few weeks back. With a picture of Ryan Briscoe.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A Ryan's a Ryan's a Ryan.

Two years ago, Austin Kearns had a chance for the first three RBI double in history. Ryans batted in. Zimmerman, Langerhans, Church on base.
    I think he struck out.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes, they did. I, too, am bothered by some of the mistakes SI had. I'm not perfect, no one is, but there have been way too many factual errors and misspellings in SI lately.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What is odd is it seems that most of the mistakes are in the stuff that isn't time-sensitive. The Scoreboard features, the SI.com stuff, previews.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

... as much as I have a problem with certain radio sports talk shows (including one on The Mouse in the morning) that are still yakking ad nauseum about the NFL in the middle of March, April, May, June ... somehow forgetting there are multiple other sports going on.

Not that I listen to sports talk radio much ... seems that's all I hear from the national guys.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NFL should have a cap-space free trading period around this time of the year. That would spice it up.
    Though it is tough this time of the year, especially with the playoffs going on, because the teams left in hockey and basketball have been stories for more than a month now and stuck in series where they are playing the same teams night after night. It gets to a point where it is either played out or you're talking about the matchup of the sixth men or back-up goalies and you have to accept that the teams will play and what happens happens.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This reminds me of another SI problem - they never replaced Rushin, who even with a few MPH off his fastball is missed.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm absolutely OK with having Tom Brady on the cover.

Then again, he's my keeper league fantasy QB, and I'm eager to know exactly what's going on with that knee of his.

Danica's never going to win the Indy 500.

Draft saved Draft deleted