1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

demise of "s.i." truly saddens me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, May 27, 2009.

1. That was my first thought when I saw the cover. :D

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As someone suggested on the Tony George sports/news thread, Danica would have gone on the cover had she won. I'll buy that, but it was also a longshot. I'm unimpressed by this backup plan.

3. jps

jps Active Member

I'm still baffled by the redesign. I know it was in another thread somewhere, but God that's awful. I'm not renewing, and I've been getting the magazine for nearly 10 years now.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the new one yet - is Brady wearing a shirt? What are the other stories featured? And I had to laugh when someone referred to SI's "takeout" on Helio last week. Three pages is now an SI takeout. Sad but true.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Likewise. Because Brady is practicing? Come on, man, we're talking 'bout practice.

Add: DanOregon, it's a shot from SB XLII. That's right, a year-and-a-half-old picture.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sports_illustrated/3567265822/

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm fine with the decision. He's practicing for the first time since having his knee destroyed. And he's Tom F'n Brady.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know "Tom Brady in May?" is a legitimate question, but consider:

--- It's better than LeBron or Kobe appearing 3 times in a four-week span (as happened with Jordan one spring).

--- Can't do Indy. Helio comeback story already ran the previous week.

--- NHL? The idea is to attract readers nationwide, so that's a non-starter.

--- Baseball? Perhaps. What happened last week?

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Lee Jenkins on the NBA playoffs, Peter King on Tom Brady, Lars Anderson on the Indianapolis 500, Ian Thomsen on Ricky Rubio, Michael Farber on how the European influence of the 1989 NHL Draft has affected the Red Wings today and Albert Chen on Harvey Haddix's near-perfect game.

Of course, there is no true bonus piece, not like there used to be. The Indianapolis 500 feature is only a page (I have to imagine because the magazine is put to bed late Monday nights). I said this a month ago after the first redesign issue and I still say it after six issues with the new look: The information in the magazine is as good as ever, if not as literary as the magazine once was, there just isn't nearly as much as there was even five years ago.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

And SI's online unit can't spell the name of the Chiefs' new quarterback (it's Cassel, not Cassell): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/05/22/backfields/2.html

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think there are plenty of more compelling stories in the NFL than Brady. The stuff going on in Indy, Terrell Owens in Buffalo, Bill Cowher waiting around for Carolina to can John Fox, Tony Romo's "year of decision," ....
    I really liked Scott Price's story a couple of weeks ago about how Nadal surpassed Federer.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

I know we've established "jealously" as being fine, but I wouldn't have put "zealously" through.

Its an awkward usage of zealous.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How'd that Jenn Sterger thing work out for SI?

Draft saved Draft deleted