1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeMarcus Cousins-Andy Furillo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What happened, fanboy.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You called him a thug cuz he's black. That's what happened.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Note, thug and posse have been co-opted by black culture. Whatever those words might have meant for centuries, they are now only applicable to black people. upload_2016-12-19_16-32-0.png

4. TheSportsPredictor

That's an actual thug.

5. CD Boogie

does that mean we can't call people assholes unless they are, in fact, assholes? with shit coming out of them, et al? Thug is not a loaded term unless you let it be. Anymore than punk is a term for queer men. To some it is, but not everyone.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

Go on your local news site, especially it's Facebook page, and see the difference in comments when they post about a black person committing a crime vs. a white person committing a crime. Count up the number of times the word thug is used to describe each person.

7. CD Boogie

no thanks, I stay out of the social media sewers. I hate anonymous message boards, they are awful. Unless they're moderated, of course.

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You guys can pretend TSP is wrong about this, but he's not. "Thug" is absolutely the polite replacement for a word that will get your ass kicked.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the NBA is "full of thugs." Never heard it about any other sport.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hear about NFL "thugs" a good bit, especially when the national anthem gets brought up.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, the only NFL player I've heard called a thug is Cam Newton -- because he danced after a touchdown, and because he wore a hat.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

IMG_2783.PNG
    Sally Jenkins calling Richie incognito a thug, which he is.

Meanwhile, if ya wanna avoid being called a thug, maybe don't go clubbing with Matt Barnes, who is a total fucking thug.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one flew right over your head. Figured it would.

I called him a thug because he's a thug. Dude is out getting in fights and shit at bars. Yeah, he's a thug. Let me say that one more time for clarity. He is a thug. The only difference is he has enough protection around him to keep him from getting arrested in these situations for the most part.

Still, you've got some serious issues, fanboy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted