1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demand Studios

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Nov 20, 2009.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone work with this freelance outfit? Saw its ad on Romenesko, am wondering what the pay scale is.

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

They suck...they will edit you to death then reject your submission, I quit them a long time ago...I do stuff for Examiner.com and pick up a little pocket change...good people there

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have a friend who makes pretty good part-time money for them. She's in pretty tight with the owner and gets a lot of choice jobs.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The pay is depends on how you look at it. They pay $20 (tops) for a 400 word story. So that sucks. That being said a 400 story can be done in about 30 minutes without having to call anyone. So, if you work an hour on two stories, you get $40 bucks, which isn't that bad. I justify it that way. In no way do I think of these as clips. It's just straight cash. They turn around pay in about three days as well, so if me and Mrs. Writer plan a night on the town, I do about four or five on a Monday and have money to spend.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I signed up with them long ago but wasn't too impressed so I ended up never doing anything for them.

Just yesterday I received an email from them saying they are now offering health benefits for their freelancers. I didn't read the whole thing so I'm sure there are plenty of stipulations but I was quite surprised to see that.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

How much research is involved with doing a 400-word story for them?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got "approved" to write but couldn't get anything to work when I went to register so I never went back and tried again.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That depends on the story. I do a lot of travel pieces for them..so I write about places that I travel to for my real job. I write what I know about the hotels, restaurants, nightlife etc. I then just fill in their filler stuff..addresses for hotels, web sites etc...so for me it takes less than 30 minutes. That being said there are a lot of "jobs" on there that take longer, and I simply avoid. I have no interest in learning how to build a hydrogen car or write it about fr $20.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It seems easy at first blush. Many of the assignments are "lists." But they're lists on things like, "Hotels Near the Paducah Airport." The list involves tracking down things like pet-friendly policies and proximity to golf courses and baggage-fee policies of the airlines that serve the city.
    And don't get me started on the "How To" stories. I'm not exaggerating when I say a common example is "How To Fix the Radiator on a 1998 Chevy Suburban."

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I edit for them and have gotten lots of former Rocky people on board with them. From the editing standpoint, you work it as much as you want. The health benefits are based on how much you work in a given month.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I got accepted last week to write and was given editing tests to edit. I was excited about editing for them, but apparently didn't pass the test. I really don't know what they were looking for. I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up anything on the tests, which were your garden variety editing test, and have plenty of experience. But I've heard stories of people with even more experience not getting to take the test, so who knows what the want in an editor.

As for writing, if you can find stuff you don't have to waste a lot of time researching it can add up to some nice extra cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted