1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delta, United talking merger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Nov 14, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, good. Two times the fail. And higher prices for all!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/14/news/companies/delta_united/index.htm?cnn=yes

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They can combine forces to find new, innovative ways to suck.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just talked to one of my old college professors (via e-mail), who is an industry analyst, and she said it ain't gonna happen.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

USAir/AmerWest got away with it, but can't see a pure major-major marriage passing muster.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Why wouldn't it pass? There would still be lots of airlines out there. Even a lot of airlines on the same routes wouldn't there?

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I was kind of surprised by the Delta talks. Always seemed like it would be a USAir-United merger.

The problem for United is that it has little presence in the east; only Dulles is a true east-coast hub. They're covered well in the west with Denver, San Fran and LAX (and Sea-Tac, to a lesser extent), which explains their significant presence on the trans-Pacific routes to Sydney, Narita, Hong Kong, etc.

Adding Atlanta as a second hub would provide a better foothold in the east; still, it wouldn't be nearly as advantageous as gaining USAir's hubs in Charlotte and Philly, IMO.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They could call it "Delited."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. 2 and No. 3 is called anti-trust.

Draft saved Draft deleted