1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

delta, northwest merge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Apr 14, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

company to keep delta name, keep HQ in atlanta. new delta will be the biggest airline in the world.

hartsfield-jackson wasn't busy enough as it is...
  2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

New slogan?

"Mediocre just got bigger."
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And they claim that keeping all the hubs will happen... yeah... Minneapolis/Detroit/Cinci/Memphis will all stay... right.
  4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Bad news for airfares; they won't be going down.

There might actually be fewer flights from Hartsfield. The number of flights on routes where Northwest and Delta both offer service will be reduced.

Before the end of '08 you'll see more of this consolidation stuff.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Great! They can lose my luggage more thoroughly than ever before!
  6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Too bad. I always loved Northwest's logo, if nothing else.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully Delta won't pick up Northwest's a la carte style of flying...$2 per curbside checked bag, $5 for snack pack, $15-30 for exit row seat, etc.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

... $50 per bag to bring your luggage back from SLC ...
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If airlines want to cut costs, here's a thought...get rid of flight attendants. All of them. I was on a Northwest flight today and was struck again by their worthlessness. (Not that NW has a monopoly on this, but anyhoo..) Guy next to me was sleeping during the beverage service and when he woke up and flagged the gal down an hour later for a drink she appeared pissed to be asked. Another f.a. collected trash by not once asking if anyone had trash, she just walked down the aisle riffling the trash bag. Peculiar.

I know the airlines can't get rid of flight attendants for safety purposes and to cater to the first-class bigshots, blah blah blah, but I'd make that tradeoff to keep tickets cheap. Everyone's getting used to bringing their own chow already, and we know that in an event of an emergency to put the mask over ourselves before helping small children.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good idea. Take out your frustrations with $25 on your ticket by getting rid of the least respected, most underpaid people on the airplane. That'll really help lower prices.
  11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Are you getting the blue or gray snack pack?

As for flight attendants, Northwest's don't do as much anymore because of things like the meals not being on every flight, but when I flew to South Africa, Delta's flight attendants worked their asses off the entire neverending flight. They were constantly going up and down the aisles, with food, drink, pillows, and selling duty free materials.

All I'm hoping for is that Sun Country survives through the summer in Minneapolis. Was able to get a really cheap flight in July, but they just laid off more than 100 people and I can see them shutting the doors two days before my flight.
  12. patchs

patchs Active Member

A good friend of mine works for Delta and I hope he makes out OK.
    He was in Atlanta for 10 years and just transferred back home.
Draft saved Draft deleted