1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delta eliminates SkyMiles experation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 15, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just got an email telling me this. Now you don't have to worry about use it or lose it.

Finally, an airline doing something right!

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

My 190,000+ Northwest WorldPerks Miles thank Delta.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if it works retroactively.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Re: Delta eliminates SkyMiles expiration

Here's the email:

You now can earn miles without worrying if and when they will expire as we have eliminated our mileage expiration policy - no asterisk, no fine print, no ifs, ands or buts.So regardless of your future SkyMiles activity, redeem your miles whenever you want for Award Travel to 350+ worldwide destinations, car rentals, hotel stays, newspapers, magazines and one-of-a-kind auction packages.We are proud to be the only major U.S. carrier without mileage expiration.Visit delta.com to learn more about your SkyMiles benefits and explore the many ways you can earn and use your miles

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What's the catch? There HAS to be a catch.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, it's kind of a moot point if you paid attention before.
    All you had to do was have account activity -- anything -- to restart the two-year window.
    Buy flowers on line? Go through the mall. Shop at Target on line? Go through the mall. ...
    Northwest had no expiration date IIRC...

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

But there are never any seats available when you try to cash in your miles. That information comes from my sister-in-law, who works at the reservation center in Minnesota.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a great airline. Tell it to the soldier about to be deployed, trying to visit his family before shipping out....had to change the date of travel, due to military schedule, Delta charged him $500 to change the ticket.

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_question/2011/02/15/6059537-a-soldier-needed-to-change-a-flight-after-learning-hes-being-deployed-to-afghanistan-should-he-have-to-buy-another-ticket

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

21, No one said they were great, just a step in the right direction.

And I have had to charge a soldier to change his flight to get to the airport to be deployed because carson wagonlit screwed up.
    It's the nature of the beast. And I'm sure there's more to the story than what's related there.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stories like this are a PR nightmare for the airline.

If the follow their guidelines, they're heartless dicks. If they make an exception, here comes the following . . .

"Hey! I had reservations to see my family last June. Got a call in May saying Mom was terribly ill and may not make it and can I come right away. I changed my reservation, and they charged me $500 for it! How come I didn't get any leniency? My mom was dying!!!"

Fact is, few people change their reservations on a whim. Usually something happens to force the change. But other than the headache of taking each change on a case-by-case basis, what's the solution?

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It is case by case in the sense it's up to the agent dealing with it. You'll have more luck finding sympathetic agent at the airport cause they have to make adjustments all of the time. Reservation agents don't make the same number of changes so they are more glaring.

Airlines have policies and procedures, yes, but I can find the ways around them as long as you're not a dick about it. Especially if military orders can be produced.

I didn't read the story, but I bet he called Delta instead of going to the airport.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Well, let's see. I've used the airline's computer system to make my reservation. I didn't take up a reservationist's time to buy my ticket, find me a seat or process the charge to my credit card. So if I want to change my reservation and I can do it electronically, what inconvenience have I caused? My fee ought to be pennies; $50 or $100 or more is nothing short of fraud.

Draft saved Draft deleted