1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dell Mini 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For that price and stated needs looks like a sweet machine. I have had a 2 lb Sony for about 5 years now and pretty much use it for everything. If I need more memory I just use a stick.

You can't beat traveling with a 2 pounder.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Same basic specs as the ASUS Eee PC, only with XP rather than Xandros Linux. However, Eee PC is now available in a model with an 80gig hard disk and XP.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/904.htm

Intel Atom processors appear to be excellent in terms of power-saving, so that's a wash. The Eee 904 HD should run about $500; availability stateside appears to be an issue at this point (it was announced in early July). The Dell is cheaper, but doesn't have the big hard drive. It will do what you're looking for, though.

3. If it helps I use an Asus Eee 900 with XP and 12 gig hard drive. I spent 60 bucks and augmented it with a 32-gig secure digital card. I have 1 gig of RAM bu literally use it only to write, surf, Gmail and Skype.

Best 500 bucks or so I ever spent. Yeah, the keyboard is tiny but you get used to it and the light-weight factor is a dream.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lightweight is good.
    Screen? 8.9 or something like that? That seems way small to my old eyes.
    I have a good coupon for one of these minis and that's why I'm asking.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy,

Go to Best Buy. They generally will have at least one netbook (the minis) out on display. I played with one last week, and that version had keys that were too small and too close together. I believe at least one kind has a regular spaced keyboard, it just goes from edge to edge without the additional numbers on the right side or whatever.

Just go mess around and see if it would work. And if it doesn't? Send me your coupon. :D

6. Moderator1

The coupon is tied into my Dell account so, uh, no.

7. imjustagirl

C'mon! I'm good for it!!!

I have a Dell account, but I can't use it. Stupid fine print that says if you go at least two months without paying them you can't use your card any more.

Jerks.

8. Moderator1

The nerve of those bastards.
    I just paid mine, so I can use it for two more months I guess.

9. imjustagirl

Show off.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Dells suck!
    Macs rule!

11. imjustagirl

Down with Buck.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My first real computer was a Mac Plus with a 9" screen. So it can be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted