1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Feb 26, 2012.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wasn't one idea with the COT that teams would be able to use the same car for various tracks? I.e. a Daytona car could run at Vegas and Pocono as well. Or am I mistaken on that?
    And I find it quite funny NASCAR moves Daytona back a week and runs into rain problems. Hold it on the regular date, you have a built-in rain date with the Monday holiday. Yes some fans would have to leave Monday (to get to work on Tuesday or had to check out Monday, etc.) but a certain percent would be able to stay since they had Monday off. But by pushing it back a week, a lower percent will be able to stay with Monday not being a holiday. Plus TV numbers would have been better with people not at work last Monday being able to watch at home vs. today. TV numbers will help with it being a night race, but I can't imagine how empty the grandstands might look tonight.
    Heck, I remember when there was an empty week between Daytona and the next race of the season. In that case, the race could be pushed back a week and you're still good to go.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... or when the second race was at Rockingham. It was chilly some years - my stepfather almost froze when we went to the AAA race (don't think the series had a corporate name then) - but at least transportation was no big trick.

I know Richmond County, N.C., isn't considered the paradise that Volusia County, Fla., is regarded, but I miss Rockingham.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even if the cars are the same, I imagine they have to swap out engines. Running 700 or 800 miles (for the race, qualifying and practice) in those cars is probably like driving 100,000 miles in a normal car.
    Plus, like someone else said, they have to reload spare parts and everything else for the next stop. Even during this West Coast swing, where they go from Phoenix to Las Vegas, or the summer stretch of races in the Northeast and Midwest, they still send the hauler back to the shop before it goes to the next track.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

All things considered, main stretch grandstand looks d*mned full....

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He has lots of family in Florida.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NASCAR should do this once a month between now and August. Monday night racing is pretty damn cool. And I say that as a very casual fan (I watch like parts of five races per year).

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

+1. This is cool, and will be great office conversation tomorrow.

8. A jet fuel explosion during the Daytona 500! WTF?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not an explosion so much as John Paul losing control and plowing into the dryer.

Unreal shit.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

+2. It mixes things up rather than just having 36 races on Saturdays and Sundays. Make it a rare thing, like a couple of times a year for the more minor races, and people will talk about it.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Was this what James Taylor was thinking when he wrote "Fire and Rain"?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One of the reasons ratings dropped there for a while, I'd bet, is that they had no consistent start times for the races. One week you were starting at 3, next week at 1. They were trying to push all the races to end in prime time. In recent years the trend has been toward standard starting times (7 or 8 for most night races, 1 for Sundays).

Draft saved Draft deleted