1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nope. He hasn't raced in Cup since 2006. He also missed the Nationwide race at Daytona after running the full schedule last year.

Get this, though. He was in all 34 Nationwide events in 2011 but failed to finish 15 of them and wasn't on the lead lap in any of the 19 races he did finish. He led no laps, he won no races. His best finish was 18th, his average finish was 29th - and he still managed to earn more than $600,000. No wonder he won't quit.

http://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/shephmo01/2011/B

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So, these teams don't have second trailer that could have left for Phoenix last night (or this morning) with the track-specific car?

Also, why such a long distance between the first two races? There's got to be tracks closer than that with weather decent enough to run, right? Talladega maybe. Miami. Any other track in the South.

I know nothing about NASCAR.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Simple answer, Ryan, no.

Most teams have a test hauler, but all of their key equipment -- tools, spare parts, radios, crew uniforms, etc. -- are all on the primary hauler. And the test haulers are already going into service to bring the Las Vegas cars out west next week, since the primaries won't be able to make it back to Charlotte in between.

That's part and parcel of having a limited number of warm-weather tracks in February and March. And in this instance, NASCAR's decision to move its race off Washington's Birthday weekend -- and delete an early-season off-week -- is coming back to bite them.

If the weather even cooperates, they're running on a work day instead of a holiday. If not, they won't have an open date until Easter. And the 500 crowd is much more national, while the July race caters more to locals.

Side note: Was told a few years back that a race postponement costs NASCAR somewhere in the neighborhood of $750,000 a day. I don't remember exactly what it includes, but imagine that the majority of it is spent on additional hotel, food, travel arrangements for all of the Cup officials and support staff. It's a pretty big circus.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Wasn't moving the date, due to the possibility of an extended NFL lockout / possible "late" Super Bowl? Seems to ring a bell.

The early season schedule is always a bit of a crap shoot, more so as they've added and deleted certain tracks. We've been going to the spring Bristol race (annual boys trip) for about 15 years. In the early days, I distinctly remember watching Masters coverage at the hotel, the day (Saturday) before the race. A few years back, we got to experience Kurt Bush making "snow angels" as part of his victory celebration. This year, it's on St. Patty's weekend...which has an average high of 60 for that weekend. Ugh.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I'd had known last week that this would be a Tuesday race, I could have figured out a way to go. Without the crazy traffic. Darn.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It's a "damned if you, damned if you don't" situation. Once NASCAR got greedy with a 36-race schedule, they have to run somewhere. Plus, the ratings are much better in February/March because there isn't a lot of competition.

But there aren't a lot of good choices (since NASCAR wants to finish the season at Homestead). It snowed a foot in Atlanta one year. You literally had to scrape the ice off the seats at Rockingham and Richmond. And it poured rain at Fontana more than once. So what do you do? You go 2,500 miles to the desert. Heck, even Daytona can have lousy weather -- I've worn long underwear to the 500 twice, in 1979 and for the pothole fiasco.

And yeah, the date change for Daytona was a "preemptive strike" because if the NFL ever expands its schedule to 18 games, Washington's Birthday weekend is a logical landing place for the Super Bowl. But I find it humorous that after running the race for more than four decades with a Monday holiday, the first time NASCAR moves the date, they get the postponement.

I don't have any insight as to NASCAR's "drop dead" time tonight, but I'm guessing if they don't see the green flag by 8 p.m., this race will be run on the Saturday before Easter. There's just not enough turn around time to try again Tuesday and still make Phoenix.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd think they try Tuesday, then simply cram everything they can for Phoenix into Saturday.

Tough, tough deal.

I am happy about the 7 p.m. start. Most folks who aren't at the track are. I feel bad for everyone who is.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. OK, glad I asked; I learned something today. So, in an attempt to improve my NASCAR IQ another point or two, why is that? (I thought they kept on using the same car, week after week, until it got wrecked.) Why isn't the Daytona car useful at Phoenix? How many different cars does a team keep on hand?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Daytona and Talladega races require restrictor plates. Others can be more specific, but I think teams typically bring three cars.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to ask what a restrictor plate does for fear I might crawl under my car in the garage tonight and start tinkering with various parts. "Hmmm, I wonder if this part is important?"

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Think of it as something designed to rate a car. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted