1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Feb 26, 2012.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Nothing you can do, but the timing sucks.

I would have much preferred a Monday evening race. This will be the first 500 I've missed seeing live in more than two decades.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The way the weather is shaping up..a 5 or 6 p.m. start isn't out of the question.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, pp, I'm pretty sure you won't have anything you'll miss. The first real window appears to be 3 p.m. (depending on shifting weather), and with 2-3 hours to dry, you could be home before the green falls.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If the weather isn't better tomorrow, when was the last time a NASCAR event was held on a Tuesday?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Atlanta last year. Forgot all about that. Thought it may have been Michigan or Fontana a couple years back.

6. imjustagirl

Atlanta last year. Gordon's 85th win.

Damn you, wicked! You were editing while I posted. :D

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they wouldn't have just rescheduled the race for prime time regardless of the weather. Would House and Alcatraz do better numbers than Daytona? Alcatraz is probably going to be canceled and House averages what, a 4? Wouldn't Daytona beat those numbers?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, but the next race is next Sunday in Phoenix. You'd like for everybody to be able to get there as quickly as possible.

9. imjustagirl

Haulers are due in at 5 p.m. Thursday. As a smart man wrote today:

So, no, running a prime time race was not ideal.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone will have to explain to me why you'd have to go from Florida to Arizona via North Carolina.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is 90-year-old Morgan Shepherd in this year's race?

12. imjustagirl

You don't use Daytona cars at Phoenix. They have to go back to the shop to get the Phoenix cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted