1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Yo - long time no talk. Good to be back. Had a question that I thought only the brilliant minds on this board could answer.

How much money did FOX just lose? I can't imagine advertisers are still going to have to pay the Sunday afternoon rate when the race is Monday at noon. Thoughts??

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Do we know you?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Well he's never been in my kitchen.

I'm sure Fox will throw in some make-goods during future races. They'll find a way to add inventory.

4. imjustagirl

Where will they find TIME to add commercials? Jesus.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hell, they ran a lot of ads today and I bet the ratings were good for at least the first couple hours. They may not have to do much in the future.

I imagine the affiliates are the ones more annoyed about tomorrow, they lose the ad revenue from Divorce Court and whatever other syndicated crap they run in exchange for a break or two each hour.

6. imjustagirl

WAIT A SECOND, IT'S ON FOX?

It's going to pre-empt Maury at 4 p.m. Sonuvabitch.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

SPOILER: None of the five guys tested was the father.

9. I think Fox will not lose money on the Daytona 500 (for this year). They may actually make more money because of the delay. They were able to air lots of commercials today as people tuned in checking to see the status of the race. Tomorrow many people will watch the Daytona 500 but that will mainly be the hardcore fans.

Fox will lose money next year because the ratings will be down because the casual fan won't tune in on a Monday and the prices for the commercials will reflect that. That potentially could be a good thing for Fox as their contract with NASCAR is up after 2013 and it could be a negotiating point in their favor.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Best part for me because of the delay:

I can now walk into Wal-Mart tomorrow afternoon with about one-third of the shoppers there.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and then you can question why you are in Wal-Mart in the first place...

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

HEY! I haven't seen that one yet!

Draft saved Draft deleted