1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Del Taco is delicious

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Del Taco is even better when a shirtless guy shows up and plays "Careless Whisper" on the sax.

2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Went to Del Taco in St. Louis. Absolutely hated it. I'll stick with Taco John's and Taco Bueno.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I prefer Del Taco to Taco Bell, but I still harbor a grudge against Del Taco for buying the Naugles chain and putting it out of business. Naugles kicked ass.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Taco Bueno is definitely better than Taco Bell. But I prefer the authentic taquerias.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Didn't like Naugles, except that it stayed open 24 hours long before all the other chains started to.

6. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I'd kill for a Taco John's to open near me, though with their special of six-pack of tacos and a pound of potato oles (and cheese dip) readily available, a Taco John's near me would probably kill me sooner. Ironic.

For what it is (cheap Mexican food), Taco Bell gets the job done. But Taco Bueno's salsa bar is something to behold.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Del Taco is so far above and beyond Taco Bell that it's not even close.

I have probably spent more money in my lifetime at this restaurant than any other place. Period. I grew up on their tacos and Del Beef Burritos, with that awesome red sauce they put on them. Plus Spartan, there's nothing wrong with them having fries when they taste as good as they do -- miles better than Burger King, Carl's Jr. or three-fourths the fast-food joints around.

Plus, should you go there after 11 p.m., they have incredible egg-and-cheese burritos for $1.69. Simple, not the monsters you get from a food coach, but very, very good and satisfying for the money. When I taught a night college class 77 miles away, I'd hit the Del Taco a few miles from my house -- using it as a carrot to get me home in one piece when I was tired.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

El Pollo Loco anyone? That's one of my faves that you can't find everywhere. I have to go whenever I'm in SoCal

These threads always make me hungry.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Naugles was good for the 24-hour thing. Plus, their taco salads were incredible. Just the perfect blend of every ingredient.

That said, when it comes to gringo Mexican, fast-food, Del Taco was superior.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife wholeheartedly agrees. We used to fly to the west when I had flight benefits to eat on our weekends. Then we discovered one in Greenville, SC. Now we will make road trips up there.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And the Naugles cheese burrito was the bomb.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This entire thread makes me angry that I live in New England. You mean there is more than one fast food Mexican place in the world?

Draft saved Draft deleted