1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deitsch on the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To say never say "never," you done said "never" twice.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Numbers Never Lie is mostly just Smith and Thompson, with some others popping up from time to time. It's actually one of the best shows on ESPN. It actually forces those on the show to make an argument based on facts. A novel concept for some of those attached to the network.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Never, MileHigh? Never ever? Like Buster Olney and Jeff MacGreagor and Bob Ley and Tim Keown and Wright Thompson and Sean Assael and
    David Flemming and Tom Friend and Brian Windhorst and Chris Jones and Adam Schefter and Liz Merril and Wayne Drehs and Steve Wulf and Ryan McGee and Michael Weinreb ... none of them can claim to have any journalistic integrity?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I get confused about how much journalism we really want. On this thread we bemoan the lack of it -- and that Charissa Thompson doesn't wear revealing enough clothing. I guess the line is hard to locate, even for us.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

See that's the thing though - seems pretty clear that ESPN doesn't have a problem selling out with hypefests in between SportsCenters and games, but even SC has sold out with "Cold Hard Facts" and other ad-based content.
    So now you've got E:60 and Bob Ley to hang your hat on (in addition to the mag) when 15-20 years ago the suits were worried that Jim Rome would undermine the entire operation with a nightly show on ESPN2.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Broad generalizations will get you in trouble . . . but on the other hand, one would like to see a little more than E:60 and the pre-pregame-hype Sunday morning ghetto.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then increase your intake of magazine and dotcom. Take in less ESPN teevee and radio.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

While I agree with you completely, and with DDown as well (although I will never understand how someone who writes so great can spell so bad--MacGregor, Merrill, Fleming :) )--ESPN will always be a television company first and foremost, and the television entity completely impacts/restricts/defines the journalism. Maybe not on an item-by-item basis, but in the big picture for sure.

Not to speak for Mile High, but I thought his post was directed at that overall perception and E-is-for-Entertainment image than at the journalists who do great work there.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't trust the journalism at Sports Illustrated because Time-Warner also produces TMZ?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't disagree. There's a goodly measure of quality stuff online . . . the problem being that so much of it you have to filter through various screens, including the always-popular "God, I could take this guy seriously, if he wasn't such an ACC fanboi and didn't think every college basketball coach was eligible for sainthood." I mean, it's a lot of work.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You are WAY too smart to suggest that analogy.

It's not about corporate ownership. Time Warner can own any number of entities and operate them with different agendas and purposes. Espn is one thing, with a singular corporate identity, no matter how many divisions and platforms exist. The public makes no distinction between the Mag or the dot com or First Take. It's all espn.

Draft saved Draft deleted