1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deitsch on the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Dec 27, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The worst thing ESPN ever spawned was the "I don't watch ESPN, look at me!" guy.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

At this point it might as just be Woodrow and Skippy, with Screamin A and panelist du jour on the ESPN McLaughlin group

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Just a terrible show. Bayless generates viewers? No one takes that guy seriously. He doesn't even believe half of what he says. He just makes his point emphatically. Just put him and Screamin A on and call it a day.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The crazy part is, I love Skip brother Rick's Mexican cooking show on PBS. How did Those two come from the same family?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Same as the Vecseys.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree that watching and listening to non-game stuff on ESPN is like walking on one of those never ending staircases.
    Buying or Selling? Plus or Minus? What does Joe Blow Know? (and why should I care? Who tweeted What? What 2 Watch 4 (on ESPN networks). They can't even just air highlights they have to make it a "Countdown" or "Best of the Best."
    I half-expect SportsCenter to start ditching the highlights and just "play" Winners and Losers!
    They've really let "the brand" get away from them and now it's like everyone is a "personality" or character, donning costumes, producing skits, shoutfests that are less believable than the WWE. I understand talk is cheap, but lets go "next level" and let the fans "vote off" a few analysts and anchors.
    It's even worse on the local/regional cable level.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Constant screaming attracts attention.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it knows its demographic pretty well. And its demographic is mostly young males who could watch highlights forever, will be more likely to watch something endorsed by a beer company, and are loud, and opinionated but not erudite about sports, and like to scream along with the screamers.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Been saying this for probably 10 years.

10. VJ

VJ Member

So a day before Oregon plays Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, he writes a column basically complaining that ESPN gets to stay longer at Ducks practice than he does? How does that serve readers?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In other words, "The Common Clay of the Old West."

You know ... morons.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wrong ESPN-bash thread newbie. (I know, it can get confusing).

Hell, I wanted to vomit all over the treadmill I was on after the Kraft Bowl and it had nothing to do with game. Mark May gave his top #10 surprises of the college football season.
    #1 - Craig James leaves ESPN to run for the Senate, Sandusky's name was never mentioned (though he did say Tressell and Paterno not coaching their teams at bowl games was a surprise - gee, what happened?)

Draft saved Draft deleted