1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deitsch on the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sub "network" for "show" and you'll have my stance on ESPN. If it's not a live sporting event (ESPYs do not count), I'm not watching any ESPN channel.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I have never understood the garment-rending that results from ESPN's loudmouth shows. They're there to entertain, like the logo says.

If you want "JOURNALISM!!!!!!" watch Outside the Lines, or the parts of E:60 that don't involve contrived discussions around the table.

As for Bayless: his Cowboys book wasn't his finest hour (to say the least), but the man has had five jobs that even now would possibly be considered "destination" jobs. Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, San Jose Mercury News, Dallas Morning News, ESPN.

So dude obviously knows something of what he is doing. If he chooses to spend the rest of his career being well-paid to espouse and sell loud takes on a morning show that I can choose not to watch (and I do choose not to watch, but usually only when Rob Parker is on), more power to him.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Bay Area friends tell me Bayless was relatively under control in San Jose. That's my recollection, too.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Compared to what he is now, yeah, you can say he was tame. I just thought there were better columnists out there. How, he's a loud-mouth who spouts nonsensical points. Then, he was just an idiot, IMO

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bayless's Cowboys books are a hell of a lot more entertaining than any of the aforementioned garbage on the network.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A show with Rob Parker and Skip Bayless is too much to take.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully they put Dana back on Sportscenter. She's better there than some of the others. She had actual, discernible talent.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Anytime I stumble upon this show, I feel like I need a HazMat suit as I wade into a cesspool next to Three Mile Island. I too stay away from most ESPN shows other than live events. PTI, Outside the Lines, 360 and 30-for-30 movies are the exceptions, but that's quality stuff, not the nuclear wasteland that ESPN shows have been turned into.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

And compared to the MLB Network, ESPN's Baseball Tonight is unwatchable.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Add Mark Madden and they could re-name the show "HELL"

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Piotr has it right. For all the effortful, predictable shouting here about ESPN programming, people continue to watch in great numbers. If you really want ESPN programming to change, stop watching it.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Count me among the non-watchers. I'm doing my part!

What's annoying to me is that the ESPN stable of analysts/commentators/blabbermouths has become so large that just about all the programs today are inbred productions. Cowherd's show, for all its other stupidity, is the only one on ESPN radio or TV that I can think of that regularly speaks to reporters outside the ESPN circle with its "spanning the globe" feature. Or at least it did the last time I heard it, which was several months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted