1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deion Sanders' HS FB players get in reporter's face

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Aug 30, 2012.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So Deion, like many ex-jocks, believes he can create a school from scratch and instantly field a football team. Various authorities question the legitimacy of the roster and suspend the team from competition.
    Local Dallas TV reporter goes to practice and interesting things result.

I do think as a matter of courtesy that any media rep should ask permission to shoot practice regardless of where it is conducted. Having said that, I question the wisdom of walking across a busy street and intimidating the reporter. Curiously enough, Deion didn't participate in this. At the very least, he didn't stop it, and it's reasonable to wonder if he ordered it.

The other part of this story is that the alleged school has plundered several players from public schools in the area in basketball. A couple of these players are national prospects, and they're jeopardizing their NCAA eligibility by jumping to an independent school that had never conducted a class until this week. Hard to believe the Eligibility Center will accept transcripts of current seniors.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Deion Sanders is among America's foremost assholes.

That is all.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Charter schools are a fuckin' scam.

If I ran state athletic associations, none of them would ever get a game. They would be declared athletic lepers.
  4. The problem is they operate above the state associations.
    They are essentially mavericks over which no one has jurisidiction. As long as the kids get national exposure and get reps against other national talent fans don't care.
    If they deliver kids to D-I schools or the pros, neither will the parents or agents.
    The fact the ones who don't make the pros can't read or do math and end up working at Taco Bell at age 35 ... Fuck 'em, who cares.
    It's really sad and it's what "high school" athletics have come to.

Despite the sham this is they have already been invited to several big name national tournaments and are heavily sponsored by Under Armour.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they can get games against the other shoe-sponsored private/charter/semipro teams nationwide -- if they want to fly 2000 miles for games 10 times a season -- whoopee for them.

But as far as playing actual interscholastic high school teams -- fuck it.
  6. That's all that matters for them .. That and ESPN showing the games.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not that I want 16-year-olds dropping out of high school, but I do think it's somewhat of a farce that if you're, say, Lil Bow Wow or the Olsen twins, you can start making money off your chosen profession before you hit your teenage years. The tennis, swimming and gymnastics kids all start their pro careers before adulthood, and they seem to be OK.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but the current sham of one-and-done kids in basketball, or arbitrarily limiting certain players from sports based on their age, doesn't seem right to me either. To me, there does seem to need to be some sort of skills development system, a la vocational schools, but focused solely on athletics in the United States. Don't bother drilling them on chemistry and algebra - Focus on accounting, retirement planning, physical therapy, developing them as coaches for after their playing days, etc. Instead, especially when it comes to basketball and football, we seem perfectly happy with the status quo, wink wink game of having them play a year at Kentucky or Memphis for no especially good reason, except to line the NCAA's coffers.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The UIL won't allow private schools to join (with two exceptions), but lets in every mom-and-pop outfit that wants to hang a shingle and call it a charter school. I think this case will change the UIL's thinking.
  9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Charter schools, especially in Texas, are a result of Bush II's No Child Left Behind sham, an unfunded Federal mandate that has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve education in this country.

And all this crap with Prime Time's Prime Time Academy ... all it's teaching those athletes is about entitlement.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surprised he didn't pull this stunt back in Ft. Myers. There would have been a slight bit of nobility in getting kids out of hellholes like Immokalee.
  11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Florida's IMG Academy is a professionally run boarding school for athletes and it definitely isn't as sketch as "Prime Academy." Did Deion's flunky not realize that was a public park? Sheesh. The intimidation was ridiculous.
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The difference is that 16-year-old football players aren't good enough to make money in their chosen profession.
Draft saved Draft deleted