1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deion Sanders fired ... by the charter school he founded & named after himself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 4, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stoney, he was making a reference to the education reform thread.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't believe that any legitimate high school team (which actually makes an attempt, however cursory it may be, to have the students enrolled in and attending class on a regular basis), would ever agree or submit to playing Findlay Prep (or any of the couple dozen or so organizations like it).

It is pretty much the same thing as an Ivy League NCAA team challenging the Miami Heat.

Legitmate high schools, particularly public schools, still attempting to play something like traditional high school basketball, need to take the bull by the balls and start enforcing an ironclad embargo of programs like Findlay. Don't play 'em.

For the moment we won't mention Findlay's habit of running up 60, 70, 80-point plus victory margins, other than to say that anyone who plays them should know goddamn well what they're getting into, and thus has no bitch coming when it happens -- but it certainly makes them no less moronic for signing up for it.

You're perfectly free to run your program however you want, but find your punching bags somewhere else.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't know if that's much of an issue, because the teams that agree to play Findlay tend to be cut from similar cloth.

Findlay isn't part of the Nevada high school system, so rarely do they ever see traditional public school opponents. Instead, virtually their entire schedule are these special tournaments and out of state games around the country where they generally play other private basketball factory schools.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen their schedule, and it does look like they do play some of the Las Vegas-area public schools, although most of their 37 (!!) games are against similar basketball factories.

I just can't figure out why any public school would ever play 'em. Or even a private school, if it's making even a remote attempt to still play as a 'high school' team.

In terms of the RUTS issue, as always, I argue it's not the good team's problem to figure out how it won't kick the bad team's ass so bad as to be embarassing, but unlike situations where sometimes great teams and horrible teams have to play each other because of league scheduling or state tournaments, with these independent basketball factories, nobody has to play anybody, so if you schedule a game with Findlay Prep and they beat you by 50 or 80 or 100 or 150 points -- hey, you signed up for it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Newsweek (!) has Findlay Prep covered:

http://www.newsweek.com/say-good-bye-hickory-high-207442

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

NBA players Anthony Bennett, Avery Bradley, Tristan Thompson, DeAndre Liggins and Cory Joesph played for Findlay Prep. How many other 'High Schools' have 5 alumni in the NBA?

Last year's team sent players to Indiana, UNLV, UCLA, Washington, Auburn and Mississippi St.

BTW, if its such a fraud how come Duke recruits from there?

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Hill_Academy_(Mouth_of_Wilson,_Virginia)#NBA_players

8. heyabbott

10% of Oak Hill's enrollment is on the varsity basketball team. Assuming a 50/50 male/female spilt, 20% of the males who attend Oak Hill are on the varsity basketball team.

9. heyabbott

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/01/deion-sanders-jackson-state-prime-prep/
    Through Jackson State, Sanders declined to be interviewed and did not respond to written questions about his time at Prime Prep. During his official introduction, he suggested his presence will be good not just for Black college athletes but Black college students, too. “We’re raising professionals,” he said.
But it wasn’t that long ago when Sanders was making a similar pledge to young Black men at Prime Prep. A few of them remember those promises. Years later, they say the hype did not live up to their hopes.
“It’s good to say I played for [Sanders]. I was an athlete for him at his school,” Peterson said. “But when you look at it, it’s just kind of a huge fallacy.”

Read the article.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The good news is that Jackson State already has accredited programs and an established infrastructure for learning.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What is the deal with the damn necrobumps today?

Draft saved Draft deleted